A towel topper?
(It's a pop-up scene on a wee scrap of towel....
made with a brand new MFT Pure Innocence stamp:
Beach Bum. Isn't she too sweet?)
I thought this might be fun to top a gift with, but what I really wanted to do with it is bake a big ol' cake, ice it in a sea of blue waves, add a wee island of brown sugar sand in the sea, and put this bathing cutie on there, BUT I promised myself not to go quite so berserk today (not to mention cake has no business
1... New & Nifty: Pure Innocence Beach Bum & friends!
2... How to make this towel topper
clear stamps to tease & tempt you today:
- New stamp set from MFT: Pure Innocence Beach Bum
- ...stamped on Perfect paper panels
- ...with Black Brilliance ink, clear embossing powder & a heat gun
- Copic markers
- Digital paper scrap (TADA TracyAnnDigitalArt on etsy)
- Paper piercing tool
- A scrap of terry cloth (cut from a thin towel)
- Beacon's 3 in 1 (strong glue)
- Chalk pastels & a paint brush/another distressing medium
Step 1) Stamp the image (this cutie is heat embossed in black ink & clear embossing powder and a heat gun.)
Step 2) Colour her & cut her out. (I cut into the image so that her hand could hold the shovel.)
Step 3) Paper piece a bathing suit & texturize it:
- Emboss the bathing suit in black on patterned (digital) paper.
- Cut it out & scratch it with a paper piercer in a cross hatch pattern to make it fabric-like.
Step 4) Emboss the little shovel, colour it, and cut it out.
Step 5) Stick her bathing suit on her & put her shovel in her hand.
Step 6) Pop her up on a towel:
- Cut a scrap of towel (this is a thin dollar store towel scrap)
- Fold it & cut a small slit (for the pop up tab)
- Cut a scrap of cardstock (about 3" long)
- Score & fold it so it makes a rectangular shape
- Stick one of the long sides of that rectangular tab on her back
- Put the bottom of the rectangle through the slit to the bottom of the towel...
...adhere the tab under the towel. (I also added a little strong glue under her.)
Step 7) Build some sand castles, colour, shape with your hands & add one in the same fashion as the Beach Bum figure (with a smaller rectangular pop up tab.)
To get highlights on the castle just rub some of the chalk off.
To get darker shaded areas of stippled chalk colour, dampen your brush (rub off excess water) and use it in the chalk that way. The stiffer the brush the smaller the stipples, or dots, will be. Testing it on a scrap of paper is a handy way to tell if you'll like the effect.
Step 8) Make oyster shells:
- Stamp 2 shells & colour them
- Cut them out (leaving a tab on one)
- Glue the fully cut shell on top of the tabbed one
- Shape the double shell with your fingers
- Glue on a pearl
- Add them to the scene...