Saturday, December 29, 2007

Caution Spoiler #2!!! Card Sketches from the New 2008 Stampin Up Catalogue

I found two layouts that I really lurve in the new catalogue. I had never thought to share layouts as drawings, until I saw my blog sistah Lynn do it (How brilliant!?!) Until I saw her sketch, I was always intimidated by having to make a pdf or sumthin.' Not anymore! ;0) So... here are some doodled sketches (with another spoiler peek at a 2008 set!) ;0)

LOVE this layout below and the stamping on the envelopes. (I plan on finding the template for that card box on the S.U. demo site, making it, & sharing it with you, so let me know if you'd like an email.) Layouts that use flowers (my gabillion homemade primas) are always a struggle for me, so this is a welcome design:


When you get a new catalogue are you an inker-upper? Or do you like to keep yours pristine? I'm a bad lil' inker-upper BIG time! I make the first pass through my catty---->(thinking which sets do I love?) Then I make a second pass through--Inking it up Baby!--->(wondering 'Which sets are the most versatile?'--jotting down how many ways can I think to use them...) I was unnaturally excited by the many ways you could cut out the flower in this new set Kind Thoughts. Don't worry, Stampin Up hasn't gone crazy: those weird dark lines around the flower are mine, (click for a closer look):

When I make my third pass through the catty, I look for awesome layouts. I have a memory like a wet paper bag--and I find layouts really challenging to do--so I love to keep track of great ones. I finally got in the habit of writing down who deserves credit for the layout, so I can give them their due if I use it later (duh, huh?).

The easiest way to keep track of card layouts (for me anyhow) is to keep a sketchbook beside my computer. Inside the sketchbook, I trace a standard card over and over (ahead of time) so I can just doodle in the details as I find great cards. The details of this one are so sweet aren't they? (...with the sentiment over the cut-out image and curled paper with the stamped scallop bellow it...):


Can't you just picture using this set to stamp in white on darker colours, or used in emboss resist, or used to make homemade designer paper? I can't wait to order it. I'll be having my first stamp club ever, so I hope they like it too. It's so flexible that it'll be a classic like Baroque Motifs, I'll bet. We'll soon see!

Thanks so much for stopping by. Let me know if you'd like the template for that card box. :0)
Mel

11 comments:

Libby Hickson said...

You're so funny. :-) I love this glimpse into how your creative mind works! And your idea of having traced cards in your sketch book, ready to doodle on, is pure genius - I'm totally going to borrow that!!

Anonymous said...

What gorgeous sets there seem to be in the new catalog. Can't wait to see it all now!! I would like the template for that box when you work it out. My email is saffivort@yahoo.com

Thanks, Vannessa

L.A. said...

Mel, you crack me up! I won't get my SU Catalog until I see my friend Marge, she doubles as my SU demonstrator. My catalogs are usually kept ink free but after seeing yours...maybe not so much anymore. Have a Happy and Healthy New Year! Who knew 2008 would get here so fast?

Lori SBS2

Maria said...

Hi Melissa!

Love your sketch! Can't wait to see your finished card with that sketch.

I keep my catalog clean. I like how you put notes on yours! It's a great way to utilize your book.

Hope you have a wonderful New Year.

Your SBS2 sis,
Maria

Betsy said...

Your enthusiasm for the new catty if very fun! Happy New Year!

Michelle Pearson said...

you are so funny...I don't ink up my catty....that would just be terrible! ;) I'm the girl who when I was little *saved* all my good stuff because once I used it, it would be *gone!* I'm getting better though....I am learing how to *use* my stamping embellishments.....gives me more reasons to go find some more to buy! Ha!!

Cindy Beach said...

Hi Mel,
I got such a kick out of your inking up your new catalog. You have some great ideas!
I love the idea of the layout sketches in a notebook. I tend to do those too. Then I have a second notebook for all my ideas from the new catty.
Have a great new year.

Anonymous said...

Just stopping by to wish you a happy new year!

paulssandy said...

I love this idea, thank you for sharing. I tend to not mark up any books or catalogs. I have strayed a bit by putting post it notes on pages, LOL. I am going to steal your idea and keep a catalog just for marking up...How Fun!!! I can hardly wait, I feel like a kid getting away with something, hehehehe.

Have a great new year!!!

Learn to Stamp and Scrap with Lynn said...

I love the card sketches. I too have a book that I keep with them for those moments when I need a little inspiration. It comes in so very handy!

I am a fellow SBS2 blogger and look forward to getting to know you better.

Lynn

Becky G said...

Okay! You are making me drool with all these sneak peeks! I can't wait to get my hands on the new catalog!