Tuesday, June 3, 2008

POCKET-TAG-BOX and tag for caardvarx challenge (& a whack of tag templates)


This pocket-tag-card with box is for the tag challenge at Caardvarks. I've really missed playing along with them! This challenge was to make a tag on the theme of a month of the year. I chose June, since...well....we're in it; might as well live in the moment! ;0) June reminds me of fresh flowers, green gardeny joys, and tending things ...and for some reason that all made me think of watering-cans. I find my little pot garden so meditative. I grow 15 big pots full of flowers & herbs. Charles calls them my plantidepressants, because they bring me such bliss.

(Sorry for the last minute notice on this challenge; I just found it last night, but I think you might still have today--June 3rd--until midnight to play along & link your creation.) Here are the templates I made to make this, in case you'd like to make a tag box or some tags too:





I made the tag using the Blooming With Love set; love that little watering-can. To make it I did this schtuff...
  • ...embossed it using versamark and homemade embossing powder (clear mixed with pearl-ex #663 for a darker silver than SU's e.p.)
  • ...coloured the watering-can in with silver Zig Painty
  • ...etched the Zig Painty silver with my paper piercer--it makes neat score lines that create texture & shadow--and it feels artsy fartsy! ;0)
  • ... after I stamped the rest of the details, I adhered the watering-can & looped the silver cord through the handle (that part was fun!)

To make the water I used a neat stippling stamping technique that was in hte SU Demo newsletter a while back. Here's how-to:
  1. Use a marker to draw dots on your stamp, instead of inking it with a pad (lots of them) I used a section of the Baroque Motifs flourish
  2. Huff on the stamp (breath heavy)
  3. Stamp it where desired
  4. Then I just added embellishments: white signo gel pen details, some Crystal Effects, Iridescent Ice, & teensy gems.

The flowers along the bottom are from Artfully Asian (they're embossed in brown & watercoloured with blue bayou & mellow moss reinkers

The box was made with paper from Basic Grey's Recess line (Academy REC866)
It holds at least 15 tag cards. Which are super easy to construct:


1) Fold a piece of standard cardstock in half

2) Trace the template onto it; I like to butt the traced the tags up against the edge of the cardstock & against each other so I have fewer cuts:


3) If you're comfortable with an exacto knife, then it makes a great way to get straight cuts quickly:

You'd be amazed how often you should change this blade--or so they tell me. ;0) Seems safer I think. I need new blades for sure!

4) Embellish those little suckers however you like! :0)


Here are a whack of free tag templates:
From Jersey Girl:
From Ruthann Zaroff (Mirkwood):
From Treasures from DJ:
TOO cool:
Tag Books:
Edited to add: Tag Box from lfurnell on 4shared

Thanks for visiting. Hope you have a perfect day, :0)

11 comments:

Maria said...

Hey Mel!

Girlfriend, you've been busy! LOL! Love the templates that you've been sharing. Your pocket-tag-card with box is BEAUTIFUL!! Thanks for sharing all the templates. . . I just wish I had the time to try them all! Your projects are FABULOUS!!

I forgot to mention on your previous post that I'm broke too and my husband put me on a budget. I need to start finding ways to use what I already have!

Lovin' all your ideas!!

Maria

Carol P said...

Mel, Have you seen the challenge at Paper Crafts Magazine?

It's paper craft "Idol" with eliminations every week.

http://www.papercraftsmag.com/gallery/content.ihtml?idx=243

Too intense for ME. Over to YOU.

Carol

Janine said...

You are AMAZING!!! Love these tags and hopefully I will get to my studio tonight for a bit of stamping therapy!!

Anonymous said...

How cool is that ... love that little watering can ... wonderful tags too.

Anonymous said...

Mel,
thank you sooooo much for sharing all of your fabulous info! Your link-lists are truly amazing, as is your talent!

Jill

Julie Koerber said...

WOW! Thanks for the great inspiration and all the fabulous links! I'll be surfing and printing the night away!!! LOL!

Tonniece said...

All I can say is it's like one stop shopping when visiting you Mel, Goole has nothing on you.

Great idea, and your tags are so creative (love the water technique)
Thanks so much for all the resources and templates.

Allison Rankin said...

Awesome Mel...love all the bling you included on that tag too! You are a supahstar!

Lori said...

What a great project! Thanks for sharing the template.

Becky G said...

Wowzers, Mel! This is wonderful! You have the most awesome templates and tutorials! You should have an official title. Something like "queen of temptutes". Whaddya think? LOL! No, seriously though! I love your templates and tutorials. They're the best!

Becca said...

Wow your blog is so informative, thanks for sharing and your cards are so beautiful. I especially love those little purses.
Bela