Friday, July 18, 2008

3 x 3 links Baby! (41 and counting) +Tote 3x3 Box Template (& basics of box building tutorial)


If you're looking for the
3x3 tote template and/or the
BOX 101 tutorial
(basics of box building)
then please scroll down past this list of
3x3 links. :o)



3x3 Templates/Tutorials:
(I add to this list every so often; recent additions are at the bottom) :o)
  1. my Template for the tote pictured in the tutorial below
  2. Maria made my 3x3 tote even CUTEr! Check out her sweet 3x3 purses here & here & here too
  3. And Scrapmaven is rockin' the hot colours with her sweet set here.
  4. Template for envelopes by Sandra Box by Stacey
  5. 3x3 tutorial by Kelly
  6. 3x3 Template by StarLitStudio
  7. 3x3 Template by Stampin' Ink
  8. Post it note 3x3 by Dazzlemania designs (opens with winZIP)
  9. Andrea's 3x3 Tutorial
  10. Elaine's 3x3 box template
  11. Kristine's 3x3 box & envelope & she has more templates on the right hand side of her blog!
  12. 3x3 post-it note box (.5" thick) from Paper & More
  13. Ruthann Zaroff's 3.5x3.5 scallop box
  14. 3x3 tutorial by Brenda
  15. 3x3 box template by Sära (sorry tried to link directly to the particular post; it no worky!)
  16. My double 3x3 envelope templates (with room for layers on cards) oops! link fixed
  17. Very simple 3x3 purse template & tutorial
  18. Purse holder for 3x3 note cards (template with sides)
  19. Purse holder for 3x3 (sideless template)
  20. Joani's 3x3 tutorial (SO adorable. It holds 6 cards & envelopes)
  21. Chrissy's 3x3 box with a lid (tutorial)
  22. jennldier video tutorial for a 3x3 box with lid & belly band
  23. Kelly's adorable 3x3 Box & Lid template!
  24. SCS tutorial 3x3 with lid by Laurie
  25. 3x3 tutorial by Robin
  26. Scallop envelope 3x3 by Holly
  27. Katie's astoundingly cool 3x3 box (large with dividers)
  28. Teresa's 3x3 box tutorial (video)
  29. Regina's SCS tutorial for a 3x3 tote
  30. Andrea's 3x3 tutorial Part 1 (scalloped note cards) & Part 2 (3x3 box)
  31. Angie's 3x3 envelope card (video)
  32. Ryann's School bus 3x3 note card holder (Genius!!!)
(fits 15+cards & envelopes)

34. Snowman box (fit's 3x3s)

assemble with sides at 90 degrees/right angle

35. Larger Purse (fits 3x3s)


36. Medium flat-topped version here:

(with or without top to hold 3x3s)

37. Bucket Handbag Box sized for 3x3s
Here and another example here
...and...

38. Daisy 3x3 Box (with Stacey's template)


39.Microbeaded 3 x 3 Box with Lid:



More! (Recent additions):

40. Tiffany's ultra adorable 3x3 box with lid.
41. Laurie's gorgeous notecard holder & the tutorial for how she made it here.



Box 101--the basics of box building
(one of my favourite ways to make a box)

This set is made with a template for a tote for 3x3s. I can't take credit for the idea: Penni had the original idea to make a tote for three by three note cards. She requested it but needed it quicker than I could get to it. Nonetheless, I thought I could still offer her (and you) an alternate one.

I can't take credit for the design of the box template either, because it was made by my hero Stacey--mastermind of "Stacey's 3 inch box." Who are you mystery woman? We have searched in vain to ask permission & thank you! ;0)

I've just altered the template to have an open top with no flaps and a tab closure. There are two box templates (in one PDF): a dark & a light version. I've also included a matching pocket & handle template. The pocket may need some trimming--it's almost symmetrical (I'm just learning photoshop) ;0)

My Favourite way to Make a Box:
(Click photos for close-up view)



1) Print & cut template (label it if you like)








2) Trace template onto cardstock (butting the template up into a corner saves two cuts)






3) While the template is still on mark the score lines (I took the template off to photograph so you could see the marks clearly-- where the stars are. If you click on the photo it'll get bigger and you should be able to make out the score lines too. Hit your browser's back button to return to this tutorial) :0)


4) Score where dotted lines (and the marks you made indicate.) I like to use a Making Memories paper piercer and Tim Holtz's design ruler. More on this method (& links to lots of scoring tutorials here.)







5) Cut along lines & Stamp if you like.








6) Fold all of the lines & test fit it (may need a trim?)







7) Continue embellishing, if you like; I find it easier with the folds already done (especially paper piercing) so I can see where the stitches go.







8) Add strong adhesive (the white strips) & Assemble.





Details:



I added a back pocket (made of 'Black Embossed Floral' decorative paper 12x12 made by The Paper Company.) The stitches are drawn on with a white Signo gel pen. The handle is black ribbon stuck to cardstock & attached to the tote with black brads. I stuck wee flowers (punched with the 3 for you flower punch) onto the backs of the brads to finish it off. The closure is hodge podge hardware (Pewter), but I sponged on black Stazon ink to make it black:


You could also use alcohol ink to colour hardware. I just used a heat gun & cooled it, so I didn't have to wait ;0). The white & black brads are from Doodlebug.

To make the flowers & note cards I just....
  • ...stamped Paisley Print in Whisper White Craft ink onto Kraft cardstock & embossed it with white embossing powder.
  • ...punched out the flowers using the 5-petal flower punch
  • ...punched the little black flower for the center out of crayon cuttlebug resist paper (three for you punch) The strip across the center is made with that same paper.
  • ...pierced a brad through the flower & the scallops (mulberry paper & black c.s. die-cut with scallop circle Nestabilities. It cut 6 layers of mulberry paper all at once--like butter!)
  • The main card is French Script embossed with Black Craft ink & clear embossing powder.




Oh 3x3, how I love your little cuteness!


17 comments:

Patty Williams said...

OMGosh...this is just too gorgeous!

Deb Neerman said...

Your totes are flippin' adorable, Mel!!! How do you keep on amazin' us every day?

TFS ... I downloaded the template and hope to fool around with it soon!

Y.K.Y.R.!!!

~Huglettes & *Bigugs, Deb

*used with the utmost respect, gratitude, and humility

Annapurna said...

I love the bag/tote you created. The colors you chose make it look like real leather. And all those little details are wonderful. Thanks for the templates. I am in template heaven right now.

Anonymous said...

I love the box! I really enjoy getting updates from your blog. You always have such creative ideas.

Maria said...

Holy! So awesome! Lots and lots of stuff to be inspired by. . .especially your creations!

My goal for the next week is to work on some of the stuff you have on your blog!! Thanks for sharing all the fun links and your beautiful artwork and tutorials!!

Maria

Risa said...

Your project is so pretty Mel! Coming to visit your blog is like an adventure, I never know what I'm going to see but all in all, I KNOW its going to be great! You are super talented and everything you make has a WOW factor. You Rock Girl!!!!

TFS the 3X3 tutorials, I love this size card very much and I have to try your tutorial:)

Anonymous said...

Another magical collection - Thanks Mel!

Marion, UK

Barb said...

AWESOME Mel....as you usually are! love the color combo, the idea, just all of it!!

Michelle Pearson said...

Uh, *Barb* is actually Me!! I blog for her and forgot to log out! I'm sure she'd like this project too though!! LOL!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the dark template! :-) These are PERFECT for my next project! Love your color combination!

Janine said...

Thank you Thank you !! I am off to work to play with these templates!!

Linda said...

Girl you *need* a Cricut!

ScrapMomOf2 said...

Fantastic! That black embossed paper is gorgeous! Mel, you're amazing! Do you get tired of me saying that??

Tonniece said...

OK, this is a great bag and card. thanks for the template. I have made a few bags But not one this cute. Have to give it a try.
Rock on Miss Mel.

Scrapmaven said...

Great project! As you already know, I converted the files to klic'n'kut. I can't even cut straight with an exacto and ruler :).

Kim Etherington said...

Very nice detail and so cute. They always look so big on here and so small in R.L. You need a set of twins to spend all your time with. haha.

Nilde lima said...

Encontrei seu Blog hoje no Pinterest, fiquie encantada. Beautiful!!!

Abraços,

http://atelienildelima.blogspot.com.br/