Friday, January 4, 2008

Oh Baby! you can emboss with glue pens (Easily)

I wasn't ultra-happy with the baby card that I made for friends a while back (I haven't don't do a lot of baby cards.) So... I made a new one with the cutie patootie stamp my friend Kim gave me for Christmas: Baby Pea! It's by Stamping Bella and it's name cracks me up; I'm going to design a stamp to go with it called Baby Pooh. I know I'm goofy. Forgive me, I must have worked too many years in a daycare, hahaha ;0).

To make this card I did the following...

1....stamped Baby Pea in black stazon ink on Naturals White c.s. & did the magic patterns technique with the Paisley background stamp [You need versamark & clear e.p.] (tutorial here.)
2....used these inks: Blue Bayou, Bashful Blue, and Certain Celery ink wash & an aquapainter to paint it
3....added a wash of pink for squeezable baby cheeks
4....embossed the Certain Celery mat & ribbon strip
5.... added mat layers in Bashful Blue & Ballet Blue
6....matted the ribbon... sealed its edges with a lighter
7....added brads... distressed edges, & put it all together
8....embossed 'Oh Baby' by writing in Sakura glue pen, adding silver e.p. & heating GENTLY
9....
scribbled over pea with glue pen & added dazzling diamonds



Here's a close shot to show the details of my 2 favourite things that I discovered about the Sakura quickie glue pen whilst making this card: 1) that you can add glitter quickly without obscuring too much & 2) that free-hand embossing by writing with the glue pen is even cooler than embossing with a Versamarker. Granted, you have to be a little gentle with the heat gun. However, you get a lot finer line with more dimension. (You can click the pic for an even closer look.)


It was great typin' at ya; thanks so much for reading!
;0) Mel

13 comments:

Libby Hickson said...

Oh my cuteness!! Love this! But wait - you're saying the "oh baby" is just handwritten on the card with the glue pen - not a stamp at all? I don't think mine would look that cute! But that's so cool, never thought of embossing with a glue pen!

Michelle said...

What a sweet little image!! I'm impressed with your handwriting skills, Mel. Very impressed!

Alhambra Club said...

Great card, love that glitter, thanks for the info about the glue pen.

Lisa C. said...

holy cow, this is the neatest card and *THE* coolest tutorial I have seen in a while, I will definately need to try this! You should submit this to SCS as a tutorial on there!

ScrapMomOf2 said...

Very interesting with the glue pen! Great card!

Maria said...

Hi Mel,

I love your card! It's such a cutie. Sounds interesting to emboss with a glue pen. . .yours came out beautifully.

Your SBS2 sis,
Maria (Stampin Inspirations)

Crissy said...

What a cute card! I can't believe you handwrote that! Wow! Impressive!

Mariana said...

Complimenti, la tua card mi piace un sacco!

KAT Paper Crafts said...

HI!! Best wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year!!

-Karyn

L.A. said...

This is really cute! I agree with Lisa C., you should submit your tutorial to SplitCoast!

Lori SBS2

Becky G said...

Oh my! This is so adorable! You have better handwriting skills than me. The Oh Baby looks terrific! Oh and by the way!

You've been tagged.
The rules of the game:
• Link to the person that tagged you and post the rules on your blog.
• Share 7 random and/or weird facts about yourself on your blog, we all want to know them.
• Tag 7 random people at the end of your post and include links to their blogs.
• Let each person know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

Have fun!

SBS2 Becky

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

Hi Becky,

Thanks for your comment and for tagging me. :0) I just finished (finally, after being tagged by two other people) :0) doing that exact tag, so it's on here if you're curious about my random-weirdness! :0) Mel

huntla1 said...

Adorable! I love all the things that you did! The layout and colors are perfect!