Monday, February 4, 2008

Faux Stitch Embossed


I'm lurvin' the new backgrounds; the stitched one is awesome. I wanted to add some details to match it, but I was feelin lazy, so I used an ultra-speedy faux stitching technique. The supplies are minimal. All you need is the perforating tool from the Cutting Kit (pictured below) with
Craft ink & clear embossing powder & heat gun.

For faux embossed stitches all you do is:

1) Roll the perforating tool lightly on the Craft ink pad.
2) Then roll it along your paper (medium pressure seems to work well.)
3) Re-ink for each line & Emboss it et voila you have textured faux stitching.

You could use a high ruler--like the Stampin Around wheel guide--to get straight lines, but curved lines are super-easy:

You can emboss these faux stitches or use regular ink

Schtuff to make it:

Stitched background stamp & For a Friend (level 1) Hostess set; Pretty in Pink & Black cardstock, Glossy cardstock stamped with French Script in P.I.P ink, Sanded with a nail file & distressed with black; SU distressed ribbon--with the end melted slightly using a lighter to seal it, black brads, Rub-ons (Saleabration) layered; punched Vellum flower. Glue pen (to make "Love" sentiment look embossed.)

Hope your Craftin' is crazy fun!
:0)
Mel

17 comments:

Becky G said...

Another great tip, Mel! Love the card! It's so cute!

Unknown said...

OMGoodness what a cool idea, thanks for this, will have to find a perforating tool and give this a try xx

Alhambra Club said...

What a great card, love the pink and black and your faux stitching.

Anonymous said...

This is totally cool! Love the idea...I have 2 sewing cheap machines that don't work worth a darn! This looks like a much better alternative to a 3rd! Love it...fab card too!

Bonnie said...

Oh, I LUV stitching on a card...I just don't do it often enough!! Thanks for the great quick tip!!

Lori said...

Thanks for sharing your tip! I love the pink and black color combination you used here.

Maria said...

Hi Melissa! I really love this card. The colors are fabulous and you always seem to use such fabulous DP. Your card is fabulous and thanks for the tutorial!

YOur SBS2 sis,
Maria

Lastel said...

Very pretty card , cool trick for the faux stitching , why did'nt I think of that !

Catherine said...

Awesome card, Mel!
Thanks for the idea about embossing faux stitching - I never thought of that, but what a great technique to make it look more like the real deal! Have I told you lately that you rock?!?!
Hugs,
Catherine

Stephanie Hargis said...

Wow! What a cool technique! I am excited to try it! I love this card by the way. It is so cute. Thanks for sharing with us!

Corie said...

OH, love this!!!

Michelle Pearson said...

oh you're so smart...but I don't have that distressing set. I'll have to think on that idea anyway!

Cute card and color combo!!

Anonymous said...

So pretty!!! I love this card! Thanks for the tip too. I'll have to try it out!!

ScrapMomOf2 said...

Wow, Mel, this is fantastic! I love the pink and black! Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

This is so pretty! I love your card! Your SBS2 sista-Samantha

Sara Henton said...

BEA-U-TI-FUL card!!!

Crissy said...

Beautiful card!