Friday, March 14, 2008

Mother's Day Ensemble (Gift Cone & Card) With Embossed Faux-Ribbon, Easy Sparkly Rain Background


Template for this cone is here. The edges are scalloped using S.U.s corner rounder (and then punched with the 1/8 " hand-held punch to create a pattern.) I stamped the Perfect Plum cardstock with Almost Amethyst craft ink. The card is made with Close to My Heart stamps. I love this set called Finding Beauty. Here, it's stamped in Perfect Plum craft ink and embossed with clear e.p. The leaves are actually ribbon from May Arts. I got it here. Charles actually asked me if they were real leaves! :0)

I've been making cut grass strips, but I wanted something a little more artsy fartsy for this card, so I just painted some grass (using Certain Celery and Mellow Moss ink and an aquapainter.) Then all you have to do is cut the blades. A little finicky but fun. I added glitter pen details to the grass and flowers so they looked kind of dewy. :0)

To make the "grass" stuffing for the cone, I used a strip of designer series paper (it uses a fair bit of paper and you lose the design, so in hindsight I would have used cardstock instead...) Anywho, to make it you just fold in an accordion fashion and cut. It is super easy with tissue paper or thin paper. To make it easier with d.p. or cardstock, just score lines on your paper (I scored at 3/8 of an inch apart.) It makes it SO much simpler.

Embossed Faux-Ribbon (click on the pic to see the texture)

The bottom of the card is a strip of Close to my Heart adhesive linen paper. It ends up looking like embossed ribbon. To make it just:

1) Cut a strip of the linen paper
2) Stamp on it & emboss (I used Perfect Plum craft ink on Stampin Up's Paisely Print stamp & clear embossing powder)
3) Paint the remaining white area with ink wash (I used the leftover ink on the stamp & an aqua-painter)
4) I've mounted it on cardstock to make an edge. You could also use it the way you would ribbon.

Easy Sparkly Rain Background:

1) Stamp S.U.'s Polka Dot background stamp (I used White craft ink)
2) Emboss it (I uised clear embossing powder)
3) Draw around each dot (I used a Sakura stardust glitter pen)

You could make more prominent rain in blue (using blue ink & clear e.p. and a marker) or white... using (white e.p. and a signo gel pen)

Other card details: Cardstocks--> Certain Celery for the main card stamped with Stitched background, Mellow Moss, Soft Sky, naturals white (for flowers & grass). Finishing accents gem from Mary (thanks Mary!)

Happy Craftin! :0)


P.S. For how to do the Soft Sky scalloped edge on the card please see this tutorial


14 comments:

Maria said...

Wow Mel! I love your Mother's Day Ensemble. All of them are so pretty and thanks for the instructions! You're so sweet to add all the instructions to your special techniques! They're all fabulous!

Maria

Crystal Ware said...

This is just beautiful Mel! I love all of it. Your card and cone go perfectly together. Thanks for including all the tutorials. Fabulous job!

Kim Etherington said...

Wow... I love the springtime card and the little cone. Mmm... filled with purdy's caramels would be fab,eh! Is this what the grown up girls should ask the Easter Bunny for? Another great job babe!

Crissy said...

Beautiful card and cone! You've done so much with this card, I don't know what I like best! I think probably the grass, cuz you did such a great job on that!

Lori said...

What a beautiful ensemble! I love how you created the grass.

kathleenh said...

Gorgeous Mel! I love the color combo and all of your details are just amazing!

Anonymous said...

This is sooo awesome!! So pretty! I love your instructions too. Sometimes too complicated for me (actually I'm just too lazy) but if I ever need to be complicated, I know where to go :D I love your stuff. You're so creative!

nessy said...

wow!! what fantastic work ~so much detail~ i love the colours you have used ~so different!!
vanessa xx

Cathrine StClair said...

Beautiful collection - I just love your grass! Thanks for sharing all the details, I know how long those posts take to write up.

Michelle Pearson said...

Another fun card. I saw some of the floral ribbon like that....oh YUM! Very fun background... another great idea!

Bonnie said...

What a fabulous set Mel! I love this colour and I never use it enough!!

Betsy said...

What a fantastic ensemble! Your explanations are so clear, thanks for sharing all those helpful hints. You do wonderful work.

ScrapMomOf2 said...

Everything you make is amazing! Just wonderful! Love it!

Haidee said...

I like doing the paint brush w/ water. I t's fun!