Sunday, April 20, 2008

Clear card-candy Pocket Card (+ABC easy embossed background)


The clear pocket on this card was one of those happy accidents. I was cutting paper and accidentally sliced through one of SU's clear cellophane envelopes; then, I thought hmmm I could use that as a pocket. So this weird thing was created. ;0) I used the pocket to hold card candy. I wanted to make this card a special BRAT: belated random act of thanks, heehee. Tucked into the pocket are tiny acetate flowers & white flowers (that are homemade fabric stickers.)

The sentiment & flower stems are from Kim Hughes's beautiful Silhoutte Blooms I set. They're stamped in Basic Grey, Black, & silver e.p. You can get such depth from those flower stems stamps. Check the masterpieces
Julia has made with them: flocked, in pink'n'black, and my ultimate fave: on white.


The embossed alphabet background is made using a Close to my Heart stitch alphabet stamp, but I didn't stamp each letter separately. I was thinking about placing each letter on my acrylic block one at a time, but it was way easier to just leave them on the storage sheet (this was the first time I used them so they're perfectly spaced.) You can see the Dotto adhesive if you click on this picture below (The Dotto holds the clear sheet of stamps onto the acrylic block):


(Don't worry, the Dotto comes right off of your plastic sheet by rubbing.) After stamping with this set you're left with the perfect little dots to connect. (No lines in the stamped image.) To make the lines that I added silver, and embossed, I just:

  1. Stamped the alphabet in Soft Sky ink
  2. Dotted over each dot with a Silver Zigpainty pen
  3. Drew little stitches in with a Sakura quickie glue pen
  4. Sprinkled on silver embossing powder & heated it
Interested in learning more about glue pen embossing? (I just can't shut up about it!) ;0) You can find more examples here, and here , here , here and here. The Tutorial is here.


Card Supplies:

Cardstock: Pied a Terre (side B) by Autumn Leaves AL8102, the circles are actually from shimmer flocked paper from Heidi grace designs; it's called Moonlight Meadow/Flourish, & Basic Gray c.s. Punches: 3/4" & 1" circle punches, word window punch. Stamps:
Kim Hughes's sweet Silhoutte Blooms I set, and Close to my Heart stitch alphabet stamp. Accessories: Stampin' Up!s clear translucent rectangular envelopes (102619) The clear envelopes also make great mini photo albums.

Thanks for stopping by. Happy Craftin! :0)

4 comments:

Penny said...

Gosh, this is fabulous, the stitched leters look amazing!

Alhambra Club said...

Wow, this card is great, what a wonderful accident, they lead to such great creations. Love how you did the background with the embossed alphabet.

Carol P said...

Hey Mel, do you like pen embossing? Do you? Do you?

BIG :)

(and yet, I still haven't tried it!)

Carol
Extreme Cards and Papercrafting

Becky G said...

How cool is that? I love the hidden pocket! Great idea, Mel! You are so creative!