Sunday, October 26, 2008

Simple Rounded Basket with LPS Butterfly & Flourish (template & tutorial)


Email readers who'd like the template PDF,
please click on the picture above to visit my blog
(since I need to link it up, after this post, on SCS.)

Can't get enough of this stunning flourish stamp from Little Paper Shop's {Flourished Dove}--especially as a curved flourish! So I made this box template to use it on...

This rounded-basket-box-thinger was inspired by a Martha Stewart template for letter boxes (The one you see in these tutorial photos which I started to work with) However, after I had done all of the work to put it together, I found that the construction of it didn't let you see any of the detail of the stamping on the front of the basket (because of the angled sides.) So I just made a new template altogether. (I had to see that flourish!)

The template that came about has the same curved front, but it has straight-edged sides...so that the angle is different...making the stamping on the front visible:



When finished, the basket-box measures 4 2/8 by 2 7/8 inches at the bottom & 6 1/2 by 3 3/4 at the top. To make it sturdy, I've glued patterned paper to cardstock (details on how to do that below.) You could just use heavy cardstock if you like. :O)

To Make the Box
:

Click on the pictures to
Download template PDFs on scs:






Step 1)
Print the rounded basket box template onto patterned paper or cardstock.
Please Note: the template I made will look slightly different than the one in these pictures;
the front & back are curved, but the smaller sides of it are straight.)

Step 2) Roughly cut the template
(leaving about 1/8 or 2/8 of an inch excess around the template line.)



Step 3) Spread the back side of the template with glue.
I've used Tombow Monomulti adhesive. It's my new fave; it really sticks! (This looks like the front of the paper I know, but it's the back of double-sided paper: Cosmo Cricket Fleuriste:Flora Bella from my sweet friend Kim)



Step 4)
Stick the gluey template onto cardstock.
This is to make it thicker and sturdier like 4 ply card.(I've used Stampin' Up!s Vanilla Textured cardstock from the neutral pack; I stuck it on the non-textured side so the texture would show.)

Step 5) Cut through both layers
(cardstock & patterned paper) using the line of the template.



Step 6) Stamp where you like. I can't get enough of the stunning flourish stamp from Little Paper Shop's {Flourished Dove} You can line the flourish up with any curve. Here's how:
  1. Lay an acrylic block over the curve you'd like to match
  2. Arrange the Flourished Dove stamp using that curve as a guide
  3. Stamp away:


This is stamped in Black Craft ink & clear embossing powder. You can use the {Flourished Dove} flourish straight too...for the smaller sides (which are straight on the template.)



Step 7) Score 4 lines from the corners & fold the score lines
(the scoring is indicated on the Score Gide PDF by dotted lines)



Step 8)
Embellish however you like. I did this schtuff:
  • lined the inside with matching paper (4 2/8 by 2 7/8 inches)
  • stitched around the lining (gluing the thread ends under the liner
  • pierced & stitched the sides with black thread
  • embellished as I stitched with seed beads (inside the basket and out)
  • added self-adhesive gems to the flourish


Step 9) Punch holes where indicated or where you like
(you could punch several holes & lace 'em up the sides!) :O) Add eyelets if you'd like to make it stronger. Use 4 pieces of ribbon, wire, or whatever you like to tie it together.



Step 10) Add feet if you like. I've glued on 4 large glass beads for feet & that's it!



Tuesday: details on these butterflies from
the LPS {Butterflies & Blossoms} set
& the matchin' card
:O)

Hope you're having a Craftiliciously great day!


23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stunning! I love this little basket!

Heather "Hev" said...

Huge Hugs - you are a sweetie!!

Thankyou so much!!

Eva said...

Mel, I just love your work and this basket is truly amazing. Just wanted to thank you for putting in all the time and effort into your tutorials. I do appreciate it.

Ashley Newell said...

This is just gorgeous!

Maria said...

I was here earlier but didn't have time to comment. Love your basket, Mel! YOu know. . I never thought to layer it over cardstock to make it thicker. I made a similar basket once and it was a bit flimsy. . .thanks for the great idea!!

Your basket is so pretty and great choice of paper!! Thanks for sharing the template. . .

Maria

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial,I love making baskets and boxes,must be the 'mother earth' part of me!It's a good one to do for Xmas.Many thanks

Elena said...

Mel! This basket is amazing! I love your idea with the Florish Stamp! The papers are gorgeous! Thank you for the tutorial!

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful and oh so clever... Really lovely...

Lisa Olson said...

Wow Mel this is really neat, I love this, never in a million years would I have thought of doing somethin like this.

Jessica Diedrich said...

Beautiful, Mel! love the vintage feel to it and what a pretty combo of stamps you used!!! Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Nice, Mel. You must have so many ideas for projects running around in your head that you have trouble getting to sleep at night!

Swedie

Allison Rankin said...

You are da queen. Love the color palette here and all these fun instructions!

Barb said...

Fantastic! I love how you modified the basket to see the stamping... clever girl!

Shirley said...

Thanks for sharing the wonderful pattern and your gorgeous basket!!

Erum Tasneem said...

the paper, the shape the stamp.. ROCKS BABY! lol
i looooove it... i have to try thissssssssssss!!!!

Jami said...

WOW! This is way too cool. Love it!
hugs, Jami

Melanie said...

beautiful box, it looks like antiqued painted metal!

Julia said...

This is awesome Mel!! Thanks for the template...I'll be trying it out : )

Etha said...

oh WOW!!! that's all I can say right now, I'm stunned :)

Mari said...

Gorgeous Mel! I love, love, love it!
And yes, the paper is stunning too!

ScrapMomOf2 said...

You totally have the "mouth hanging open in disbelief" posts . . . do you know that? WOW! Mel, I always think you cannot possibly top what you've already shown and created, but I'm always wrong! This is amazing! The little feet on the bottom? Brilliant!

Dolce Deb's Designs said...

What a lovely and unusual basket. Thank you for the great tutorial and pattern. You are so generous. TFS.

Debbie/Phx AZ

Unknown said...

great idea! i just blogged my quickie one for of these as my dt piece for kaboodle doodles challenge this week :)