Monday, October 6, 2008

Topiary Snowman with Snowflakes! (faux bleach with no bleach)




When I first saw this Little Paper Shop {Topiary} set, I thought it had the perfect shape for a snowman. What I didn't realize though, was that the LPS set {Snowflakes} would have the perfect saying to go with it!...




"Snowflakes are the Flowers of Winter"

Don't you love it when a sentiment just makes your card feel really finished? Being a (former) sentiment coward, that feeling is new to me-but me LIKEY! :O) This saying is embossed on white cardstock with silver Encore ink & silver embossing powder. Above it, the pot for the topiary is cut out & on foam tape...





The {Topiary} tree is turned into a snow dude by embossing it in white & then colouring it with a white CTMH marker--an easy FAST version of faux bleach with no bleach. Here's how:

Step 1. Stamp topiary on Black cardstock in white craft ink (aka pigment ink)
Step 2. Emboss in white embossing powder
Step 3. Colour it in with white marker (or paint it with a wash of White craft ink or you can use pencil crayons as Ellen does here & here.)

And that's all! You can also colour over with pastels after.




To make his face:

  • An orange Marvy Uchida Puffy Velvet pen for a carrot nose
  • Permanent black marker dots for a coal mouth
  • Black beads glued on with Crystal Lacquer
Other details:
  • Self-adhesive gems for buttons (coloured with a black sharpie)
  • Stick arms drawn on with the Gold end of a Zigpainty

To make the snow I did this schtuff:
  • Embossed the smallest three snowflakes from the LPS {Snowflakes} set (in silver Encore ink & embossed them with clear e.p.)
  • Added silver metallic details to the snowflakes with a Zigpainty
  • Added wee free-hand dots with the Zigpainty to make tiny snowflakes.)
In hopes of bling overload, I...

...stuck gems on the centers of the snowflakes
...added an SU filigree embellishment and gem brad
...stitched around the outside of the card with silver cording.


Little Paper ShopLittle Paper ShopLittle Paper Shop

Want some inspiration?

Check out what the rest of the Little Paper Shop Design Team is up to:


and LPS is having wicked sketch challenges.
You have 'til Saturday October 11th to win a prize!
(Click the sketches to go to those posts):



Go to the for details.



So, have you started your Winter stamping yet?
Hope you have a blast when ya do! :O)

48 comments:

Patty Williams said...

Oh Mel ! Me more than likey ! Me absolutely lovey !

I love me some snowmen! This is just gorgeous!

Jessica Diedrich said...

Ok, seriously this is genius!!!! I am LOVING what you did w/ this set! How fun is that idea?? I'm totally trying this! Great job! You are too clever!

Cindy Haffner said...

OMG girl you are amazing, I love that snowman, so perfect.

Joani McDonald said...

Mel - that's awesome! I wish that I could be in your head for just 5 minutes to see how you come up with all this. You are amazing!
Thanks for the inspiration!
Hugs,
Joani

Bonnie said...

Mel!! Fabulous way to use the topiary!! I have to try this snowman!

Renée said...

This is FABULOUS! I absolutely love it!!

Anonymous said...

LOVING the topiary snow dude! And how totally fab the saying is perfect. (BTW, Love your new blog banner.)

Janine said...

FAbulous job Mel.!! Love the snowman!!

Eve said...

Love this! A lot of work was put into it!
The colors go so well too!
Kindly,
~Eve

Kim Etherington said...

This is too damn adorable! What a cool idea. Great sentiment. I need new sentiments. I'm not using them anymore, because of being so tired of mine. Love the snowflakes and that it's blk and white. I always love a different take on things.

Sue from Oregon said...

Holy moley...who would have thunk? Wonderfully creative!

Annapurna said...

Cool dudette! You could have taken out the whole stalk and made him into a snowman too. Thinking outside the box. Very nicely done! Impressive! Superb!

Now take 35 paper cups and put 7 on the bottom and stack the rest all on top of those 7 cups. Let us see if you can think out of the box on this one ;-)

Barb said...

Cute cute cute! That snowman is awesome... you are so clever.

Ronni said...

Awesome card, Mel!

Christina Smith said...

Mel, I just LOVE your blog!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to post. I learn so much from your "tutorials" and the new techniques you show. You are an inspiration!!

P.S. I have started winter stamping!

Anonymous said...

You're sooo smart! I love this! Great card!

Lindastamps

Anonymous said...

WOW, how totally clever!! I love this card...love all the bling! Great job :)

Allison Rankin said...

Lovely work Mel! Super idea with the topiary!

AnnMarie said...

You have an amazing ability to think outside the box! Too cool, Mel!

L.A. said...

Mel, your creativity never ceases to amaze me!! Fabulous job!

Deb Neerman said...

WoWzA, that is the perfect snowman!! Who'd a thunk it ... besides you, I mean!?!

LOVE this, Mel-a-Licious!! You are tooooo clever and oh sooooo creative ...

GREAT card ... you rocketh!

~Hugs, Deb

Jami said...

What a fabulous fantastic idea!! I love this little snowman topiary!!! You totally Rock the creativity department!!
hugs, Jami

ChrissyM said...

You are amazing. LOve this card!!!

Please check out my blog there is something there for you
http://chrissyscreativespot.blogspot.com/2008/10/sweet-reward.html

Anonymous said...

Wonderful snowman. Love him.

Tiff said...

I just love the new blog look!

Thanks for posting this technique!!!! I am a technique junkie afterall :)

Suzanne C said...

Really clever and very cute... Your always coming up with something new...

Elaine said...

GET OUT!! It is just a stroke of genius and yes, that sentiment is PERFECT! I just love the snowpiary!

Evelina Wikberg said...

That snowman card is just to die for!!! I am going away now to get the supplies and give it a go. Thanks for the inspiration. Eva

Elena said...

That is genius! The idea with a snowman is just brilliant! And a new technique is amazing! Mel, really you are our treasure!!!

Lisa Olson said...

Hey Melo this is sooo cooool I love it. Am having a blog candy giveaway check it out over at my blog.

Gwen said...

ok mel!!! this is my favorite thing you have ever done!!! pure genius!!!

Diane Davies said...

LOVE IT!! I love topiaries and to make it a snowman . . . awesome. The saying is awesome too. I wanted the topiary when I first saw it now I REALLY want it!

Sherry said...

OMGosh Mel how freakin' cute is he?!! I just love snowmen!! I have the topiary set from SU and was thinking about selling it because I've never ever put ink to it...yeah, changed my mind! Gonna go try it right now! TFS!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mel good morning your blog info is way over my head ...you are too smart for me...guess you'll have to come visit when i decide to have my own blog LOveLady

Risa said...

Mel....you have done it again girl!
Now I know that I'm not the only one who sees art in a different light. I love your concept...how clever is that...you rock girl!!!
Your card is super stunning...I LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

WOW - Mel - this is totally awesome!!! Fabulous idea!!!

BTW - welcome to LPS DT!!! Sorry it took so long for me to stop by...always busy...LOL!!!

Tonniece said...

AWESOME, Like just WOW.
The imagination and creativness you have just floors me.

Love it Mel

Melanie said...

this is the cutest snowman ever!!

reeree62 said...

Mel,
Although I subscribe, I've never commented b4.
As if you need to hear it one more time.....(LOL).....what a clevah way to use that topiary stamp!!!!
I just love this concept. Cool!

Erum Tasneem said...

Great job Mel!
Love your snowman!

SueB said...

You've done it again - this is awesome; thanx for sharing!

Donna Baker said...

oh my WORD! This is the cutest snowman I ever did see! I LOVE it & your tutorial rocks! TFS you stamping genius you

Carolyn King said...

wow....FANTABULOUS!!! LOVE THIS GIRL!!! AMAZING!

ScrapMomOf2 said...

I love this! You are clever! The sentiment is totally perfect!

Catherine said...

What a fantastic card, Mel!!! Love it to pieces!

Crissy said...

Gorgeous card! I love the use of the topiary as the snowman. Just perfect!

Shirley said...

Mel, you are always so darn clever. This is just beautiful. What a snowman!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! This is just too cute!