Monday, November 10, 2008

Bling on the Holiday Shimmer!...LPS Snowflakes Blossoms



I wish you could come over to my house and see the blinginess on this puppy! I used some Swarovski crystals and Shimmerz & it was so fun. (I am part crow for sure: shiny things make my heart skip a beat.) Couldn't resist making a different version of the snowflake flowers 'cause I love the "Snowflakes are the Flowers of Winter" sentiment from the Little Paper Shop {Snowflakes} set too much. (Can you guess what's going on my Christmas cards?):



I'll describe this schtuff in the order I did it in, but I secretly just plod along with no plan...so you if you'd like to try it you might want to cut your cloud shapes first and then sew snowflakes after they're cut.

The Snowflake Flowers:
Click on any pictures if you'd like a closer look. :O)

Step 1) Arrange the {Snowflakes} stamps how you like them on an acrylic block & Stamp 'em (these are embossed in white on Basic Grey paper from Urban Prairie)



Step 2) Pierce the snowflakes in spots where you'd like knots. Draw stems in Inkssentials pen & pierce along them.

(if you make mistakes while drawing your stems like I did, you can just erase them with your finger right away. The pen & Basic Grey paper are both very forgiving.)



Step 3) Stitch knots in spots on the snowflakes & Stitch along stems (i did every other stitch)


The Clouds:



Step 1) Cut paper into cloud shapes



Step
2)
Sponge cloud shapes with white ink
(or use direct to paper technique like i did here since my stamp pad is almost dry)



Step 3) Step Stick cloud shapes onto a white cardstock mat
(roughly 6 2/8" by 5 1/2" depending on how you've cut your cloud shapes) Layer them over each other to hide the edge of the previous layer.



Step
4)
Distress edges of clouds with your fingernail



Step 5) Pierce along the clouds & stitch.
(You could use a sewing machine, of course but I can barely thread mine let alone sew nice-puffy-cloud-lines! lol. I've started to just pierce everything freehand lately; it doesn't have to be perfect, 'cause it's hand-done, no?)

Here's what the cloud stitching looks like with white thread (doubled on the needle):



Step 6) Glue crystals to the centers of the snowflakes with Crystal Lacquer
(or use self-adhesive crystals)

The Snow Blossom:



This is the flower from {Butterflies & Blossoms} two of 'em layered...

Step 1) Emboss flower in white on vellum cardstock. (No need to be perfect; look how messy that little pair up there is...Blush!) ;O)
Step 2) Paint the inside of the petals with Shimmerz or the white from Pearlescent Paints.
Step 3) Cut the flowers out (cutting in between the petals)
Step 4) Shape a little with your fingers.
Step 5) Layer & pierce the center
Step 6) Add a snow flake in the center if you like. [I used a Martha Stewart snowflake punch to punch turquoise cardstock (& cut parts cut off) covered in Tombow & S.U. glitter (the light blue)
Step 7) Attach to mat & stitched clouds etc... with a brad.]
Step 8) Glue a crystal to the top of the brad



Some Finishin' Touches...

The Ribbon:


The ribbon is Tempting Turquoise grosgrain from S.U. It's painted with Angel Wings Shimmerz & wrapped around a torn strip of white Cardstock that's been Cuttlebug embossed with the Snow Dots folder & painted with Shimmerz. (Not a surface untouched on here, LOL)

The bow is a cheaty kind of way to use ribbon. It's tied in a little bow & adhered with Tombow Monomulti. I tried to stick it on with Lacquer but the Tombow is WAY better for ribbon...me likey

The Inside:
A bad pic of the inside, but it gives you an idea:


These are strips of the turquoise from the Basic Grey Urban Prairie & a piece of their Figgy Pudding Silent Night. These stitches are faux just drawn on. To do the sentiment...

Step 1) Emboss it on white cardstock. I tried my only ink pad made by Tsukineko (Encore Teal metallic ink) on the acrylic for the first time: AWEsome!
Step 2) Tear the white strip
Step 3) Dry emboss the strip in the Snow Dots Cuttlebug folder (around the sentiment)
Step 4) Paint the snow with Shimmerz
Step 5) Adhere the white piece so that it forms a pocket (if you like) for a gift card or a letter. :O)

Fiddly Bits:


Fill in every other stitch with a white Inkssentials pen (lets the real stitches stand out.)



Paint Shimmerz along the tops of the clouds. This is more Angel Wings Shimmerz. The effect is subtle but fun 'cause it's like baby bling...and that's all she wrote...

Hope your day is just Blissful!



P.S. Last but never least, don't miss my LPS Peeps. They're making gorgeousness! (See the thumbnails of cards in the sidebar?) :O)

24 comments:

Penny said...

What?? I am the first to comment on this snowy gorgeousness? Honestly, you are so inspiring and this is FABULOUS!! I never would have thought to make snowflakes into flowers.

And thank-you for your kind thoughts on my blog, they are much appreciated x. I cleared out £250 worth of stamps and bits and pieces would you believe? I still have lots of stamps though, no worries!!

Elena said...

Gorgeous card! Love the flowers-snowflakes you created! Very inspirational idea with the clouds!
Mel, thank you for leaving kindest comments at my blog!

Anonymous said...

WOW WOW WOW! You are rockin it out on a Monday! Love these to pieces! The snowflake flowers are so clever and all that stitching is so yummy!

Savitri said...

Wow! This is awesome! I actually want to do some stitching so great tut for me :)

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I wish I could come over and see this in person too! Maybe some of your wonderful creativeness would rub off on me! You are just amazing girl!

Danielle said...

Gorgeous card Mel! Love the stamp you've used - you've done a wonderful creation. Your step by step tutorial is fab! You're great girl!

Jessica Diedrich said...

This is just beautiful, Mel! Such intricate and lovely layers and soft colors. I love it!

Catherine said...

WOW! this is absolutely stunning...love it!

Mari said...

Wow Mel! I love it! I love that color (BG is awesome) and even though it can't really be seen, I can imagine the awesome bling. Of course, I wouldn't have to imagine the bling if you were looking for a home for it... LOL!

Erum Tasneem said...

hi technique queen! all the bling is beautiful! plus i love how you arranged the clouds and sponging the edges white...BRILLIANT!
I love the knots and your snowflakes... everything is just gorgeous! Even the background!
GORGEOUS, BEAUTIFUL!

AnnMarie said...

Wowzers! This is really gorgeous!!!

Maria said...

I wish I could come over and craft with you! It would be fun! I love the snowflake flower. . .it's so pretty. . .I have to try this. .. maybe my next card. It's so inspiring. It feels like winter looking at your card. . .love the pretty ice color!!

Maria

Curt in Indy said...

Endless talent . . . that is what you have! This is stunning! I have never heard that sentiment before and I love it. Thanks for sharing that! The detail on this card is simply stunning. As always, I'm in awe! Best, Curt

Curt in Indy said...

Me again! I forgot to tell you that I actually laughed out loud when I read the crow comment. Funny as heck! Best, Curt

Elaine said...

Wow! That's just amazing and sooo neat~ I love the fiddly bits that you shared and the clouds, and the popped up flower - it's all so neat!~

Risa said...

Hey there Mel!
I must be part crow also cause I love shine and sparkle too! lol I also LOVE your card...how do you come up with one great idea after another?! You make simple look gorgeous!!

Allison Rankin said...

The minute I saw the outside, I knew where you were going with this...just brill again!

Etha said...

wow the cloud sponging and piercing/stitching looks like you have a ton of layers, my eyes did not believe the closeup!!neat!
A little something flew out your way yesterday! not sure how long it will take, mail from here to CA can be veeeery slow.

Unknown said...

This is so freaking gorgeous. Such rich, intricate detail. Can't wait to try some of it!

Annapurna said...

How cool. Gosh you are one patient woman, I have to accept. No wonder you took a day off from blogging. I am sure you needed all that time to make this thing. Looks marvelous.

Jami said...

You are my crafting hero...really, where do you come up with this stuff?! Amazing!! There are probably a dozen techniques in this one project that I'm itchin' to try out now!!
hugs, Jami

Cindy Haffner said...

Stunning, i don't know how you do all you do.

Angie Tieman said...

This is gorgeous! Love the color and the awesome snowflakes!

Shirley said...

Gorgeous from the gitgo! I love the colors, how creative with the snowflakes, and the colors just say 'Here I am'. Great as always, Mel.