Monday, February 16, 2009

Easy Peasy Grundgeboard Embossing plate (pressure embossing)

Amazing what a silicone mat will let you emboss! Here's a short, but hopefully sweet post--for all of you who thought it might be neat to have your own custom embossing plate, but just weren't into all that cutting! ;O)

I find these Do It Yourself plates work best with de-bossing & the effect is a little more like the letterpress look...

Just 2 simple steps:




Step 1) Layout any grungeboard pieces you like on a piece of cardboard

These are Grungeboard Elements<--(I can't wait to make one with the numbers, hinges, & keys that come in that pack too.) I'm drooling over the new Nature shapes. I need to make one with those silhouette flowers, the butterflies, alphabetica, & a crow one too. Caw!

Used up all your grungeboard? Don't worry, you can make one with the negative (or left overs) too.

Measurements: Ideally, just 1/8 of an inch under the size of your machines platform so you don't have edges that will crease. For the Cuttlebug that would be 7 5/8 inches by 5 6/8") I haven't tried this in any other machine, so I'm not sure how it works, but I'd love to hear.

A trick for laying it out: Just keep playin' with it like a puzzle 'til you're happy. I found it helpful to take a photo of the arrangement, to use as a reminder of where the heck I had laid the pieces, so I could get 'em nice in Step Two...the glue:



Step 2) Lay down a layer of Mod Podge Matte & stick the grungeboard to it & coat the pieces in a little bit of Mod Podge Hardens so nicely for crisp edges. (I like to work in stages so there's no blobs.)

Let dry & then you can emboss with it...


It gives you a nice deep impression.

I spared Ya some of the finicky details (for once) ;o) but if you'd like to try it & you wanna read
'em, you can read the deets here (sandwich/stack to use is there if you need it):



Happy Grundgey Embossing! :O)

14 comments:

Elena said...

That is brilliant! I would never think of this!!! Okay, Mel, tell me your inspiration come from, I love it!;)

Melanie said...

very cool!

wwilloww said...

Easy peasy true!! I just wonder (and may actually try to do this)if you could just lay your grungeboard pieces on say a piece of cardboard (no adhesives), place cardstock over it, create the embossing sandwich and run it through for a 1-of-a-kind embossed image and then you still gots all dem grungeboard pieces to use in another project or creatively with the embossed image! I am off to try it and will let you know!! Hugs!

wwilloww said...

OK, I tried it...I only had the negative of the grungeboard I wanted to try but even that worked beautifully using a Big Kick. I just laid the grunge right on the platform, shimmed it with 2 pieces of the soft stuff you use for shimming Spellbinders dies and then an acrylic cover and I got a great image!!! Woohoo!! Thanks so much!!

liannallama said...

fantastic tip! Thanks!

Tina said...

You are so clever.

mudmaven said...

You are amazing! Going to hve to give this a try! ~chris

Anonymous said...

You are so clever!! Your idea rocks!

take a little piece of my art said...

OMG!!!!!!! I tried the other way and that's just as cool...but like you said NO cutting is involved this way!!!! I NEVER would have thought of this in a gazillion years....you're brilliant!!!! Thanks for sharing your brilliance!!! LOL

Maria said...

Hey Mel! wow, I love your original embossing plate! It's beautiful. I wish I had the time to try out all your tutorials! Maybe when my daughter leaves for college, I'll be able to try them all! Right now, I'll just admire all that you do!! Thanks for the tutorial. This is definitely a "must try" that I'm putting on my list!!

Maria

SueB said...

Mel, you are DA BOMB - TFS!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mel,
You are a very generous genius!Thanks so much for sharing this idea...it's simple and brilliant! I am blown away and heading down to my craft room now. Thanks so much for the inspiration!!!
Have a super day! Mary

Unknown said...

i just made a whole bunch out of my sizzix dies :D WOWY WOWY WOWY!!! I'm LOVE these techniques...YOU ARE TALENTED! Please send me a piece of your brain, I'd like to be as creative as you! :D

jogrybali said...

You must have an fantastic brain to come up with all these designs.
Thanks Mel, I like your website very much, gives me lots of ideas.
Thanks for sharing.