Monday, August 24, 2009

{Forest Critters} Label box



This little forest is made with the tree stamps from one of my very fave Little Paper Shop sets: {Forest Critters.} It's made on a label shaped box & there's a wee tree on the inside of the box ...



The trees have stitched tree trunks ...





1... LPS colour challenge
2... making a label shaped box (with panels)

-1-

LPS colour challenge


We'd love it if you could play with this combo too!
Link your creations to the little paper shop blog here.

-2-

...make a paneled label box



This box was actually pretty darned speedy to put together.
It's just two decorated panels & the basic box.
Here are the templates & details...



label shaped box:

Click this link to Download
the Label Box template
(or click the photos below for JPG versions)



Measurements:
WIDTH: 5 inches wide (4 1/4" at the bottom)
DEPTH: 2-1/2" (from front to back)
HEIGHT: almost 3-1/2" tall.

Step 1) Print the template onto cardstock of your choice & cut it out. (I used bordering blue)



Step 2) Stamp the {Forest Critter} tree tops onto patterned paper. These are embossed with Chocolate Chip Craft ink & clear embossing powder onto BasicGrey paper (from their Ambrosia 6x6 pack) I glued them onto cardstock & cut them out again for strength.

Step 3) Trace the box (label shape) template onto patterned paper two times to create 2 full decorative panels. (I used pages from an old book that I had painted with these inks: SKY: Bordering Blue ink (SU) & a bit of Broken China distress ink. HILLS: Kiwi Kiss ink (SU) & a bit of Peeled Paint distress ink. They're all spritzed with some Dew Drop Glimmer Mist for some subtle bling. ;O)

Step 4) Cut some hills out. This design uses 4 hills (3 overlapping for the front & one wee one for the inside)

Step 5) If you want support for thin papers or for stitching, trace the template again to make 2 panels of cardstock for the front & inside of the box.

Step 6) Embellish & adhere the hills: Punch the bottom of the hills with a Spiral punch (SU) & Adhere the sky and hills onto the panels. Pierce and stitch in blue & green, if you like...



Step 7) Add the trees & stitch the trunks: Adhere the tree tops & pierce along the tree trunks (on the tree top & extend down to make the bottoms) Of course, if you prefer, you could stamp a guide for the bottom of the trunk--or just stamp and not stitch at all.



Step 8) I stitched the tree trunks, since it was so speedy & I really like the texture & repeated stitching for the inside panel too...



Step 9) Score & crease the box & attach the inside panel. (Having a second panel inside keeps the box from being front heavy.) I tucked the tabs for the box sides in behind the panel so it didn't interfere with that little tree on a hill.

Step 10) Finally, just stick the second set of tabs to the back of the front
& you have a label box with panels...



Hope there was something here to interest you. :o)

On a more personal note: Thank You so much for understanding my MIA weekend. We had the nicest time visiting with my most marvellous Mother In Law (a Daughter In Law has never ever been as luck as moi-ever.) My sweet C has been in rough shape, had some tests & we were worried sick, but we got the results with "no news is good news." Thankfully! Hopefully, it'll turn out to be from a small gallbladder stone...(Yes honey, your gallbladder is famous-or is that infamous? heeheehee)

I got caught up on some housework that was sorely needed- can you say sticky feet on the kitchen floor? hehehe. I still have those stinking migraines (like ninety), but am working on getting all our ducks in a row, health-wise and otherwise... you know Life schtuff. All in all feeling a little out of it & behind on things in general, but more than anything else feeling so very lucky & supremely grateful.

Thanks for being You;
hope your week is starting off wonderfully!


P.S. Want some Inspiration? Don't miss all the gorgeous LPS
projects from my talented peeps -in the side bar----->
& the challenge entries on the LPS blog Monday morning:

19 comments:

Beth Norman said...

What a wonderful project. I love how you distressed the newsprint. Very clever! So sorry to hear you are still feeling so poorly. Sending hugs,

Beth

Kit said...

this is fantastic and I love the tutorial.

Stampinsilvia said...

ohhhh Lovein the box! Super awesome!!! Thank you sooo much for posting the template! I always save them into a file called Mel's templates! Glad to hear your MIL is doing well and will pray for the gal stones! Great job on the colors!!!

Nancyroo said...

amazing project! Love those trees, so cute!

Shell Shearer Swinscoe said...

Oh I love it, must see if I can get those trees, then I can have a go...lol

love the tutorial thanks hun

hugs shell xx

Cindy Haffner said...

Oh wow Mel I'm lovin this, awesome job with the color challenge!!

Anonymous said...

hi very attractive..i was bragging up your blog to ron and told him u do so much more than cards,love lady

Bonnie said...

I love it all Mel! YOu are so creative!

csroyal said...

Very cool, Mel! Sure wish you could ditch those migraines!

Etha said...

this is just gooooojus!! I think it would work well as a card too if one doesn't need a box :)

Anonymous said...

How creative and adorable! I am in awe! Great tutorial. I got disconnected somehow from your blog and subscribed again!

Fabi Carvalhos said...

Oh My God! So many things beatifuls here! Congratulations, Mel! I'd love to know your blog and your works. I'm beginning to create invites and survenirs with scrap technics, but i'm yet so far to this.:) Thanks to share your knowledge with us. Hugs, Fabi.

Ann Kranitz said...

What a fun project!!! Love all the stitching!!

Julie said...

HOLY COW, Mel! Where do you come up with this stuff?!?! Simply gorgeous!!

Heather D. ~ Fresh Brewed Designs said...

I honestly think you are crazy .. in a good way crazy .. like I am so happy you are crazy :) lol! you always ROCK your projects, give such amazing tutorials and always share EVERYTHING to a T! I am always WOWed beyond belief when I visit your blog and I truly need to comment more(but you may think I am crazy, lol) Thank you for all the work you put into your blog and for all the love and inspiration you put into your projects. I know the time you must spend on most of them and many may take that for granted. I just wanted to remind you how appreciated you are! We love us some MEL!!!!

Claire Phillips said...

How beautiful is that - just gorgeous! x

The Wired Angel said...

Besides super talented.. you are super generous.. thank you Mel..

How are those pencils coming along?

Be well.. hugs, Peggy

Terry said...

Mel....I love this 'tut'. Thank you. All that said, I LOVE all your 'tuts' - LOL
I Pray you're on the road to a recovery Mel. Dam headaches!! They wear a woman down.
Be well.
Sending healing hugs.

Erum Tasneem said...

Totally love the colours... the style is just great, cuz its so MEL!
love the trees and the text paper! Awesome!