Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Giving Copper Tape a Verdigris Finish

I had fun making this around a piece of acetate punched with the notebook punch. My favourite element of it is the copper tape, though. It's very affordable at stained glass supply stores and is self-adhesive. Though I'm not a huge fan of immature copper, heehee, I simply LOVE it aged. You can achieve a Verdigris finish the turquoise bits below (click on the pic to see):

You just sand the tape lightly and set it in miracle grow overnight. You might want to seal it by sponging on Crystal Effects to keep it from rubbing off. I can't wait to see if this works on copper wire, and brads.

Want to change the colour of your cardstock mat and make it go well with water-coloured images? Just use an aquapainter
Want to add some texture to a plain button? Just scratch it with a paper piercer. (I discovered this while scoring the back so it would stick well with Crystal Effects.)

Steps to making this:

1....Create flower (see this post for how to)
2....Scratch button on back (so it has tooth for adhesion with Crystal Effects) and scratch front for interest.
3....Tie thin satin ribbon into button. (Melt gently to it keep from untying.) Glue button on.
4....Stamp measuring tape in Tempting Turquoise ink onto Basic Grey "Drive in the Country" paper (ste-722 Stella Ruby line.)
5....Cut pieces for flower stem, plant pot, & leaf. Tint the leaf & stem using sponge with a Not Quite Navy ink wash.
6....Punch edge of an acetate sheet with notebook punch. Use it as a mask to sponge on Not Quite Navy wash to a large piece of that same Basic Grey paper. Add white signo gel pen details.
7....Stamp measuring tape onto the BG paper. Add subtle glitter with Sakura pen.
8....Trim acetate & Adhere copper tape (sealed with Crystal Effects.)
9....Put a line of double-sided tape on the back of the acetate using the copper tape to hide it.
10....Stick acetate to card & adhere rest of the pieces--including mats of Certain Celery & Chocolate Chip cardstock (distressed & inked.)
11....Paint Cool Caribbean mat with aquapainter & Tempting Turquoise ink wash, dry & adhere.
12. ...Mount onto a black card & add Cool Caribbean paper inside for writing on.

Thanks so much for taking the time to look at this,

:0) Mel

12 comments:

Alhambra Club said...

Fantastic, love the idea of the copper tape, will have to give that one a try. Love the card and that flower is awesome.

Conibaer said...

Great card! Thanks for the tutorial!

ScrapMomOf2 said...

OMG! I have just one question. Can I come to your house to play? WOW! This is amazing!

Kim Mraz said...

whoa...what a fabulous technique!!

Unknown said...

this flower is a-a-amazing!
WOW!
What a fabulous technique and card.

Tracy said...

WOWZERS girl what a fantastic job! I'm with Carol when can we come play??? OMG what am I thinking??? I just realized how far away you are...UGH are ya ready to move yet?
*wink*

mudmaven said...

What great inspiration! Everything on your post today was so helpful. Thanks so much. ~chris

Michelle said...

Wow, Mel, what a really cool idea! Thanks for the help!

jenn* said...

incredible card! and such insight you give us, too!
hey, on a side-note, i have to thank you for your compliment on my 'cupcake' card. i almost deleted it from my blog because it just "didn't look right" in my eyes. thanks for boosting a sista up!
sbs2 sis,
jenn*

Rika said...

How beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Mel, too funny! I just read your comment on my blog. Yes, the video is "stuck" up there as an intro :D Maybe I should take it down, huh? I wonder how many ppl thought the same :D

I love your work, btw. Did I tell you that? I think I did :D

Michelle Pearson said...

oh man.....you have such awesome ideas....I could get stuck here for a looooonnnnnngggggg time!!