Sunday, July 20, 2008

TRANSFER TECHNIQUES (packing tape transfer & 3 challenges)


Quite some time ago, I bought the supplies to try image transfers (lots of moulah) and to my shame I've tried it once (mucky results). So, I'm starting with the easiest way to transfer to develop a taste for transferring without mucking up my supplies...

Packing tape transfers, which just require three simple things:

(making them the cheapest way to transfer too!)

  1. An image (magazine clipping/laser prints)
  2. Packing tape
  3. Water
Inspiration:

This card is inspired by three challenges. The colour came from Julie & Deb's Rock the cover! challenge on their rockin' new challenge blog: Y.ou K.now Y.ou R.ock. The idea is you hafta use the CD that's in your player. Fun! But I had no CD in my player, so I went with the album that was playing on my ipod when I read the challenge & then hunted down the cover. Eek! my cover was a doozy:


I took the easy route & just went for a toned-down version the colour (orange on my monitor) & the weathered look. I don't have (or want!) a stamp of anyone smoking, LOL and nothing stamp-wise reminds me of The Smiths. I'll have to be more strict with myself for the next challenge, but it made me use orange which is tricky for me--so thanks Ladies! :0)


The flowers were inspired by Jen's flower punch challenge. They were punched with the 5 petal flower punch & they use the packing tape transfer technique (Some tutorials are linked below.)


The flowers are also inspired by the Fan Club interactive challenge STAYcation Keyword: CT0708. (I recently signed up for the fan club membership--can't afford it, but I wanted to show my support to SCS.) The challenge was to travel from your armchair, using memorabilia or your imagination. I've always imagined traveling the world & learning the customs of each place I visit, so I can be a polite traveler with an ethical footprint.

The packing tape transfer method let me transfer a map of Africa (one of the places I've always longed to visit) from an magazine to tape. The beads in the center of each flower are glass beads from a vintage necklace I had that broke. They're kind of orange & brown.

Sewing the beads onto paper: I tinted this bright orange embroidery thread with Close to Cocoa ink & water to tone it down a bit & ironed it dry. My thread wouldn't thread into the needle that actually fit through these beads...

..so I tried something that you might find useful:

If you put a dab of Crystal Effects (or liquid glass/lacquer) onto the tip of your thread & roll it between your fingers it stiffens the thread and lets it act like it's own little needle. If you still have trouble threading, I found that the stiffened thread could be pushed through with the tip of a needle. Crystal Effects is also great for sealing the knots, so that the beads will stay put.


Packing Tape Transfer Tutorials:

1) Packing tape transfer by Jessica--with a magazine image(?)
2) Packing tape transfer (laser printed photo) on transparency! by Scrap the World TV
3) Packing tape transfer --with a laser printed image from Wishing on Clovers


Acrylic medium & other transfers Tutorials:

1) Gel medium & laser print/magazine/newspaper transfer to fabric by Elsie
2) Photo transfer onto fabric (with water) by Donna
3) Many Ink Jet methods by Intuitive
4) Various transfer techniques by Tiffini Elektra X
5) Transfer pen technique from Thimble
6) Transfer pen by Heidi Swapp
7) Transfer ink technique by Roni
8) Transferring an image onto a teacup (with decal paper) by virtualbuddy
9) With Polymer gloss varnish by MatisseDerivan
10) Transfer using printable overheads/acetate--(I love Kroma's quality too) & here is lazschu's Transfer Video #2 transfer onto fabric
11) Acrylic medium transfer videos by scottholloway: here & here
12) Acrylic Transfers Pictorial tutorial by Paul
13) Laser print, vellum & tacking iron transfer by BrunnhildaQ
14) Suzi Blu shows us transfers with gel medium
15) Transfers with mat medium & with omni gel (from Above the Mark stamps) & free vintage images (from Above the Mark)
16) Transfers to make clear decal & clear images by Judi on The Scrapbook Lounge
17) With Opals clear embossing enamel by aftermidnightstamps
18) Polaroid Transfer by Sarah
19) Polaroid transfer Video
20) Vibrant transfer with Sheer Heaven paper and alcohol video & more here
21) transfer ink drawings with sheer heaven & rubbing alcohol
22) Claudine Helmuth's Adirondack Paint Image transfer


Other Card Details:

Cardstock: Really Rust, Basic Black, Naturals Ivory Patterned Paper: Life's Journey by K & co (wet, inked with Close to Cocoa,wet again, wrinkled & ironed flat & then run through the Swiss Dots Cuttlebug folder.) Orange Flowers: tape transfer flowers layered on these black & white text flowers (coloured with a Really Rust SU marker) Stamps: sentiment from Close to my Heart's Finding Beauty set (markered with Really Rust & Chocolate Chip markers.) Main card stamped with this homemade fun foam stamp (using markers too.) Black Paper Flowers die cut with Provocraft's Flowers die.

Thanks for lookin' Happy Stampin'! :0)

17 comments:

Allison Rankin said...

As always, you are brilliant. Always a wealth of knowledge at the ready!

Lisa M. (aka. Lisa @ Farm Fresh) said...

Wow! That packing tape transfer is very very cool! I am going to have to try that out as I have a lot of packing tape and too many magazines! Thank you very much!

Deb Neerman said...

Okay, now I know how you do this: You don't require sleep, do you?!?

Another amazing project and tutorial ... and your linked items rock the planet!!

Your card is wondeful, Mel ... LOVE it!! Thanks so much for playing in our challenge!! Y.K.Y.R.!!!

~B'ugs* & thanks, Deb

*Love your latest: "w'ugs" ... lololol! You're good at this, Mel!

Annapurna said...

This is too cool. I love orange, more towards the yellow in the spectrum.
Thanks for all the links. Off to try out packaging tape transfer.

Joani McDonald said...

Awesome idea! I've got some packing tape too!! Thanks so much for sharing your way cool ideas!
LOVE your blog!!
Hugs,
Joani

Julie Koerber said...

Ok, now I am going to be singing ,"William, William it was.... really nothing!" all day long!! LOL! Great card and glad you put your own "Mel" spin on it!! YKYR!

StampinCathy said...

Your card is just beautiful. Great tutorial and so much information. You rock!

Belinda said...

Thanks for a great card and so much info. I love getting your feeds, cause you are so interesting and creative. I am in awe!!!!

Janine said...

Interesting!! This might be something I will venture into when I have ALOT of time!!

Teri said...

I love learning from you, such great techniques! Thanks for sharing with all of us!!

Jennifer Love said...

I saw this technique before and had FORGOTTEN about it! Thanks for jogging my memory...can't wait to try it. :D

Mada said...

Mel, whenever I stop by your blog I get lost in it for hours reading older posts, following various links and admiring (more like drooling over) your awesome creations :)
I love this 'brownie' card, the flowers are adorable. Love the Smiths and the transfer technique which I am definitely going to try.

Thank you for sharing your talent and knowledge!

Tonniece said...

SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

You're killing me here.
How oh how do you do it? Thank the lucky stars there is you.

Great card and links again.

TFS

Maria said...

Hey Mel, initially, as I was looking at some of the tutorials, I couldn't understand why I needed to peel off the backing but after viewing one of the tutorials, now I get it! It's soooooo cool. . .now that I understand the concept! I love it! Thanks for the links. . .I'm going to try this one out!

Maria

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

I've read about this technique but never did it. Thanks for the inspiration.

Risa said...

Another beautiful card! I love the flowers and the map of Africa as a background paper. You talent and creativity is a gift for sure!!!!
TFS the templates:)

Heather D. ~ Fresh Brewed Designs said...

I just saw Allison's .. then saw your post .. then your card:) lol. WOWZA!!! that would have been such a hard challenge! ((not for you .. you are super great!)) Can you imagine the card I would have made?? My cd player still has let me see you boogaloo in it:) lol!!!