Saturday, September 6, 2008

Butterfly Template & Tutorial (like the one on the Stampin' Up! Cover)

ETA: butterfly links are at bottom of this post. :O)


This butterfly card has a glittered Scor-Pal grid (using my fave: a Sakura Star Dust gelly-roll pen) & over 100 faux French knots. (Tutorial on that technique here.) The Naturals white cardstock is embossed with By Definition.

Template here:



To make the butterfly:



1. For a double butterfly, trace 2 butterfly templates onto cardstock twice (or print directly) & cut it out. You can use two different sizes if you like. :o)

2. Stamp/Emboss if you like. I stamped a Paisley (large design category) from Above the Mark (56005 I) on silver cardstock in white and embossed with clear e.p.

3. One good way to attach the butterfly is to stitch it on (so that it's wings will still flap, but that it'll be on there really well).

TIP:
Pierce with a paper piercer through the top butterfly layer & the mat you're sewing it onto. Then you can use that butterfly as a guide to line the bottom butterfly in the middle & pierce it in the same spots. Stitch through those holes to the back:



4.
Stitching the butterfly on also makes a great spot for gluing on the fancy pin. I use Crystal Effects (or Liquid Glass/ other lacquer glue) and it's sturdy:



To make the pin, I just..
  1. Slid pearls from a broken necklace onto a stick pin (Making Memories)
  2. Used wire cutters to clip off the bottom & Crystal Effects to keep it in place
  3. Added wire antennae to the top of the pin
  4. Glued a gem onto the head of the pin; You can see it in this picture:

click if you'd like a closer look :o)



To make the sentiment I embossed in silver on white cardstock & stitched on pewter Hodge Podge hardware.


& More butterfly templates for you since they seem to be a hot image of late...




ETA: Butterfly template from K. Rebecca
ETA: Sweet denim butterfly from Bunny

sweet butterfly
& a stunning one
& one that would be lovely to trace the shape
& a monarch & another
Yellow bar butterfly
& a cartoon one
Stained glass pattern

papercraft inspirations (july issue)
& another cutie

Google image results for butterfly pattern
Google image results for butterfly template

Thanks so much for all of your well wishes; I'm feeling a little better. I have a trip coming up (but scheduled Halloween posts for the whole thing) and I can't wait to blurf and catch up on everyone's blogs! :O)



P.S. Laura's Tutorial for a Diamond-fold Card is here

28 comments:

K Hutchinson said...

STOP The presses this is off the hook gorgeous!

Elena said...

The card is absolutely beautiful! Love the butterfly!!!Thank you, Mel!!! You are amazing and very talented!
Hope you feel better today!

SparkofWhimsy said...

This card is gorgeous! I don't have a Scor-Pal yet,but I think I'm going to rig something up and do it the hard way and make something similar for my husband's anniversary card, I just think this is so beautiful!

Thank you for sharing it for all of us! :)

Anonymous said...

I had to look closely at your card to tell that it was not a section of the small ceramic tiles... but cardstock! You are so creative at duplicating looks in a totally new way!! Love your beaded butterfly, too.

Swedie

Deb Neerman said...

Omigosh, Mel-a-Licious, this is delicious!!!

Love your background, and the flutterby is drop-dead gorgeous!!!

LOVE it!! Y.K.Y.R.!

Tonniece said...

This is beautiful Mel, that butterfly kicks butt.

Thanx, and happy Saturday

Deb Neerman said...

Oh Miss A-Licious! I forgot to axe you ... how did you turn your gessoed background into your blog background?!? You a genius-rady!!!

Please tell me sometime (not any time soon .. 'cuz you're a sickie), and fill me in on the deets; I'd love to use your other background (with the turquoise in it), for MY b. background. With express, written permission from the artist, of course!!

I love the way yours looks, all delicate and airy-ding ... it's beautemous!!

~Sign me,
Jealous

Erum Tasneem said...

this is lovely Mel! I was also sending you some of my hand drawn butterflies, with designs... I dont think you need my butterflies anymore, this one rocks!

Angie Tieman said...

Awesome!! You are my stamping hero!!

Shirley said...

Stunning, Mel! TFS

Lorraine said...

Beautiful card Mel love the colours and the butterfly.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous art. I love butterflies.

Anonymous said...

You're awesome! Thank you for the template and for sharing your beautiful card :-)

Lori said...

This is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your tips for the pin at the butterfly's center.

Unknown said...

so pretty!
ok so adding to my shopping list:
beads
wire
glitter pens...
lol..

pretty sure my hubby HATES your blog. LOL...

Melanie said...

zoweeeee! over 100 knots? Umm, I'l just admire yours, won't be making that any time soon! what a fantastic labor of love

Becky G said...

This is gorgeous, Mel! That butterfly is out of this world! Love all the elements you added to this card!

Allison Rankin said...

You're the queen but you knew that right? This is so classy...woo hoo!

Anonymous said...

You continue to just blow me away with your wonderful, creative projects. TFS the templates and step by step instructions. darlene

Janine said...

Hi Mel!!! Just arrived home from the States. Moved my older son back home to Ontario.
Long day - did it all in one day!!
Only to Ohio but far enough..
Love what you did with the flutterbys!! Amazing as always!

Risa said...

I love your butterfly Mel...it is beyond gorgeous!

Annapurna said...

Oh the places you find your inspiration. I didn't even see the cover, even though I had the catalog in front of me for a few days. I love the effect of white ink and clear embossing. Very classy.

Gorgeous creation overall. I really do believe they have cameras in my house. I have a template that I use just like this one. Oh wait, all the butterflies are almost the same shape. LOL!

Jeanne said...

Wow! This is STUNNING! Thank you so much for sharing your creativity on this blog. I'm so impressed (and inspired) with all that you share. Love the links, too.

Ü

Savitri said...

Oh, this is sooo pretty! I LOVE the butterfly that you did!

Feel better feel better! Take care!!!

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Fabulous tut. Thanks for the templates. Your card is so pretty.

Maria said...

Wow, that butterfly is so pretty especially with the pearls. . .absolutely gorgeous. I really love the elegant look to the card. . you use such pretty papers!! I've never been a "silver" sort of gal but after seeing a lot of your cards made with silver colors. .. I've seen it in a different light.

Thanks for sharing the tips and the links too!

Maria

Unknown said...

MEL!!!
LOOK LOOK!!! I DID IT!!!
well, sort of. LOL...
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=15019

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME ON THIS BLOG! YOU ARE MY HERO!

Unknown said...

Girl! You are the BOMB!

You were the Tutorial of the Week at Card of the Week.com. You can see the original post here.

I did use a picture from your post, with links back to the site and the original post. I hope that is OK. Please feel free to email me if you need me to change anything.

I also have an “I was featured” on badge for you if you want it :D

Thanks again for sharing!