Friday, August 15, 2008

Faux French Knot Embroidery (on Scor-Pal Grid)

I'm back; I've missed you all madly! I think I might have some new ideas for ya (or at least some fresh takes on age old ideas.) :O) Here's a stitchin' one:


I can't get enough of the Scor-Pal {that I received as an ultra-generous RAK from angelic Noreen (aka Swedie.)} I've tried embellishing a Scor-Pal Grid with beading and I wanted to try stitching too, so this idea came about...

...This faux french knot embroidery is one way to snazz up the Scor-Pal Grid Technique by Beate. This stitching can work with both stamping (or with no stamping as I've done here.) It's really just basic regular old knots. ;o)


How to do Faux French Embroidery on a Scor-Pal Grid :
(click pictures for a close-up look)

Supplies:
Scor-Pal, Cardstock (Kraft); embroidery thread (white); needle; paper piercer; double-sided tape.


1. Make a grid with the Scor-Pal & pierce holes in the corners
(this is cut with Nestabilities scallop square)


 
2. Thread needle into cardstock from the back. Secure with double-sided tape, or scotch tape.

 
3. Tie a standard knot on the front of the cardstock.

 
4. Tip: I like to use my thumbnail at the base of the loop to get a relatively tight knot (while pulling on the needle end to tighten.)

 
5. Here's what the knot will look like once it's tied -- just a plain old knot, LOL.


 
6. To finish it put your needle back in the same hole (Don't pull too tight though.) If you do pull too tight & the knot is too small, you can fluff it up larger (using your needle tip like a little pick.) If it pulls out all the way to the back you can just go back through again. (If you need to, you can cut the thread & add more tape to start fresh.) :O)


 
7. Now just travel along the back and come up to do the other little knots. No need to travel in a straight line (this pic above is the view of the back.)


And here is the end result--somethin' a little different:


Thanks for visiting (even though I abandoned you for two weeks straight, hehehe) :0)



P.S. The card this turns into will be in tomorrow's post (Aug 16th) -- with a RAK stamp from Janine (that sweetheart!) & with homemade black hodge podge! :O)




and

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to have you back...
Missed yah!
Hope you had time to fully relax and recharge...
Can't wait to see the card this goes to tomorrow!
Thank you for blessing me today, Marilyn

Erum Tasneem said...

Ooh Mel genius! This looks very beautiful! Elegant.

Paula's ponderings said...

wooohoooooooooo the girl is back!!! Missed you! Welcome home. Hope you had a fun time!!

Anonymous said...

what a great and creative idea!

Margaret McDonald said...

what have you been up to?
send me dets

Angie Tieman said...

Very cool! That had to take some time and patience, it's lovely!

Heather D. ~ Fresh Brewed Designs said...

YAY!!! I was just thinking about you and wondering if I was missing something. you are never down the list that long :/. SO glad to have you back!!! This is beautiful! I so want a score pal one day:) What a neat idea! thanks for sharing!!

pink whimsey said...

we missed you. obviously the holiday recharged the 'lettle grey cells' (courtesy Hercule Poirot). another fantastic idea really beautiful.

Donna Baker said...

wow! 2 weeks just flew by! glad you're back & what a cool idea! I think I got rid of all my embroidery thread when I moved on from that craft. TFS

Michelle Pearson said...

awesome as usual. I gotta get using my Scor-Pal! Thanks for the kick!!

Joani McDonald said...

I'm glad that your back Mel, I've missed your posts.
This looks so beautiful, it must of taken forever.
Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Joani

Janine said...

Well how the heck are ya??? Did you have a fabulous vacation??
This is a wonderful idea you have here.
Hope you have a great weekend!!
Looking forward to your creations once again!!

Tanja said...

cool! Thanks for sharing a great idea.

Deb Neerman said...

YIPPEE, Mel-a-Licious is back!!!!!!! Oh, happy days are here again!

Missed you madly ... or is it madly missed ... or just plain mad?!?

Love this technique but I have a question, Mel-a-Licious: I know how to make real French knots ... is it okay to use 'em in place of the faux French knots?!? LOLOL, I kill me!

Great idear, dear, and your embossed lines look super-spiffy!

~H'ugs (happy ... you know the drill )

Kim Etherington said...

This is ultra fab. You deserved the time off and you need to take more time for yourself. We can handle only a couple of posts a week! Glad you are back though! :o)

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

Welcome back! this is gorgeous! I'm not sure I get the faux part cuz it looks like french knots, unless it is because you aren't wrapping it around your needle. I've done the french knot on cardsock, but I love the grid pattern

Ellie said...

I was about send out the search squad! Good to see you back.. Now for this.. my Jaw drop thank about coming back with a bang! ITS SOO BEAUTIFUL.. hmm Needle and thread are my not my friends but man this is soo cool! :)


-Ellie

Lorraine said...

This is very clever - going to have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

Annapurna said...

I am so behind. 18 people in front of me already. This is lovely gotta go try it with my not so dead pen :-)

You are such a teaser, just giving sneak peeks.

Glad you are back. Feels like my MOJO is back.

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful! Love this idea. TFS your talents. darlene

Chrystal said...

Just passing along the Brillant Weblog Award to you - directions at www.stampinramblings.blogspot.com . =)

Risa said...

Oh my goodness.....what a stunning piece of work Mel!!!! I'm crazy about the French Knots and your grid lines are so clean! Great job girl:)

Anonymous said...

Wowza Mel! So cool. I love the look of the knots.
Hope you had a great holiday although you were missed.
Looking forward to seeing the card you made.

Maria said...

Welcome back, Mel!! I missed you here on blogland! I hope you had a wonderful vacation!!! Wow, Mel. . .you are really workin' that Scor-Pal!! That faux french knot embroidery is sooooooooo cool! Absolutely gorgeous. Just another of your cool projects I have to try!!

Maria

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I missed all your great ideas. Hope you feel recharged now.

Swedie

Scrapping Donna said...

Glad your back! This is a great idea! I love my Scor-Pal too!!

Lisa M. (aka. Lisa @ Farm Fresh) said...

Yay! YOu are back and what a great technique! Thanks for sharing!

Etha said...

Wow this is pretty cool. I glanced at this when I came for your gigantic scor-pal list! didn't even pick up on the "faux" part :) I think I stitch french knots a lot quicker than I would tie knots, jumped on it and used some ribbon french knots on my card yesterday, FUN! thanks for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

j'adore ce que vous faite

quel talent!!

bizzzz

anice