Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Say it with...A Year of Flowers! (& embossing Robin's Bandanna Technique)



I'm always floored by by Melanie Muenchinger's designs, her ingenuity, & her wicked tutorials. (How does she do it?) So, I'm SOOOooooh excited to be stampin' with these gorgeous new sets that she designed: Say it With Flowers & A Year of Flowers.

Not only are they ultra perty, I was also blown away by the quality of the rubber (This was my first time using Gina K Stamps & they stamp like a Dream!) The sentiments in Say it With Flowers are incredibly adaptable & poignant. I had a hard time choosing which one to use, but I loved:
When words escape,
Flowers speak
.
--Bruce W. Currie.

Isn't that lovely? I had a hard time picking just one flower from A Year of Flowers to stamp too, but I knew I wanted to repeat one and there's something extra aluring about the shape of this particular flower. (It could be a Dahlia, a Mum, or any number of varieties) but really I wanted it to be a waterlily...

I loved it stamped repeatedly to make a pattern for this wee mini purse. The flower makes a nicely nesting shape for backgrounds because of the petals unfolding on the underside of the bloom:



I liked the petals sans colouring but wanted to accentuate 'em, so I dotted them using Robin Beam's Bandanna technique. I got impatient waiting for the Inkssentials pen to dry (it dries but I'm infamously impatient, hehehe) so I thought why not emboss it?

Turns out it takes embossing powder like a Dream! And the texture after is so sweet, 'cause you can get teensy little dots. I can't wait to try this with every flower in the A Year of Flowers set! I could stamp 'em all year! LOL.

a step-by step how-to for the purse:

Template linked here.

  • Step 1: Print the template (on cardstock to make a pattern to trace) I used the first of the 3 sizes. I just omitted the handles.
  • Step 2: Cut it out
  • Step 3: Make alcohol ink paper:
(To make the purse paper, I used glossy cardstock from Stampin' Up! with alcohol ink daubed on) To colour the glossy cardstock, I used Stream alcohol ink from Ranger (Tim Holtz) with these accessories (blending solution, applicator & felt)
OR
You could use any precoloured or or inked-up glossy/shimmery cardstock (lets the inkssentials pen stay wet)
  • Step 4: Trace the template onto the alcohol inked paper & cut it roughly to shape (not cutting it right to the template line gives you extra area to hold onto)
  • Step 5: Stamp the flower in a pattern onto it:



  • Step 7: Emboss with clear embossing powder as you go (I like to do one flower at a time to prevent smudging):



  • Step 8: After embossing, cut away the rough excess and then assemble it:






I wanted the colour a little somber. I find the sentiment great for many occasions but perfect for a sympathy card, so I was after a toned-down look. Here's how I got the shades of colour with one alcohol ink colour: Wild Plum (I only have three) :O)


Underpainting (to get various shades
with one alcohol ink colour):
  • Step 2: Stamp the two flowers onto it. (Love that there are two sizes for stamping dimensional scenes.) & Stamp the stems (There are two sizes of those too!) :O)
  • Step 3: Draw lily pads with a permanent marker
  • Step 4: Add an underpainting of white craft ink (from SU) on a waterbrush:



  • Step 5: Paint over the white with the Wild Plum alcohol ink
  • Step 6: Add white dots with embossed version of Robin Beam's Bandanna technique (tutorial above)
  • Step 7: For the leaves I used colour from 3 green Close to my Heart markers on a waterbrush & painted them until some of the alcohol ink showed through.

Other card details:


RIBBON: Velvet May arts rick rack (dry brushed with Stream alcohol ink on applicator & blended with the blending solution) then sewn with embroidery thread and seed beads. Edges sealed with Crystal Laquer & finished with gem brads.
SENTIMENT: Say it With Flowers embossed onto alcohol inked glossy cardstock; punched with Stampin' Up!s key tag punch; dotted with inkssentials white pen & black Stampin'Write marker (both embossed with clear embossing powder)


Melanie (& lots of other great stampers) have been making magic with these sets, so check out her fab blog if you wanna be inspired: Hands, Head and Heart.


Thanks for stopping by for a visit!



P.S. As you can see from the pic of the card, I'm still trying to perfect the nighttime lighting (needs work); will post more about that halogen work light soon. :O)

ETA P.P.S. Melanie has a tip-sheet here (for both these sets) with tonnes of original ideas. :O)

32 comments:

Elena said...

Love your new projects! The purse is so pretty!!! Wonderful inspiration with this stamp! Love the card and your new discovery with embossing the dots! The ribbon with the beads look so beautiful together!

Suzanne C said...

Lovely... Purse and Card was looking to see what you used to color the pond and flowers. Would have never guessed mr. alcohol ink. I am going to have to try that. :)

retiredheather said...

Love both of these projects. You did amazing work. Thank you so much for the wonderful explanations. I can easily follow your great directions. wonderful talents.
Heather

Melanie said...

woweee!!!!!!!!!!! you've been a busy girl!! I love these, that purple on the lilies is just amazing! Love the bandana technique!

Anonymous said...

oooh, this is SOOOOO pretty!! Love the colors and the dots! It's obvious you put a lot into this. Bee-u-tiful!

Donna Baker said...

just gorgeous! inquiring minds want to know - how do YOU do it all??!?

Jessica Diedrich said...

Beautiful!

Alhambra Club said...

OMG, awesome, thanks for sharing your talent, love the card and the purse is beautiful.

ScrapMomOf2 said...

That card is so pretty, but wow, oh my goodness, wow, that purse is amazing! GORGEOUS!!

Cindy Haffner said...

Mel what a fun project, so beautiful, what alot of work you go to in your post, I just love visiting your blog. TFS,

Anonymous said...

Wow! Love this look. So much information I'm on overload... I love it! Now I'm going to check out these stamps. TFS

Curt in Indy said...

Gorgeous colors! Again, wonderful detail in all you do. Thanks for the detailed tips too! I think you need to do a book!!! Best, Curt

Eve said...

Mel- your projects and your blog is amazing!
I made a purse from one of your templates. Check it out here:
http://thisisbliss838.blogspot.com/2008/10/twilight-tuesday-inspiration-challenge_21.html
BTW- if you have not read the Twilight books- run to your nearest book store and get them!
LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
Kindly,
~Eve

Erum Tasneem said...

oh the colours!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GORGEOUS!!!! Just WOW! Love the design on the purse! I got some wooden block printing blocks for myself to design some papah! Wish me luck!

Mindy said...

That's not a card. That's a work of art!! It is truly stunning. I am so glad Melanie Muenchinger sent u this way. I am a new fan and can't wait to look around more and try that purse with the fancy handle:) Thanks for sharing!!

Sheila said...

WOW....I nearly cried when I saw this Mel. Both the purse and the card are stunning and the colours you have used are divine.
Love it. love it, love it.
Sheila-x-

Kim Etherington said...

I love the purse. What a cool look. Pretty purple waterlilies too!

Godelieve said...

Fabulous project!

Anonymous said...

SOOOO MUCH WORK BUT SOOOO WORTH IT,LOVE LADY

Morag Cutts said...

WOW - Your projects are beautiful and very inspiring. Thanks for sharing with us.

Anonymous said...

I'm always floored by by Melanie Muenchinger's designs, her ingenuity, & her wicked tutorials. (How does she do it?)

Isn't that what I'm always saying about you?

Anonymous said...

Whoa! The purse bag and card are both so gorgeous I can't decide which I like better!

Risa said...

Mel your card and purse are both breathtakingly beautiful!!!! I tell you, you have some wicked skills girl!

Jami said...

Wowzers Girl!! I feel like I say it over and over when I visit, but you blow me away each and every time!! Love this little purse and love the bandana look!! So cool!
hugs, Jami

Julia said...

ohhhh this is gorgeous!

Allison Rankin said...

You are the queen! I love this with the beads...come make stuff for me and I'll take all the credit, k?

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

Fabulous Mel! Love the card and the bag...awesome tips!

Maria said...

Oooh, I love alcohol inks!! They are so so pretty to use. I never thought to paint with the alchol ink. . .great idea. I love the pretty shaded results!!

Your purse and card, well what can I can say. . .absolutely gorgeous. I'm lovin' all the details. I need to work on more details on my cards! Thanks for the inspiration, Mel!!

Maria

Mary said...

The extra close "close-ups" are very much appreciated!!!!So instructional. You are a very gifted person. You give much joy to many people. Thank you.

mi sello personal said...

BEAUTIFUL LOVELY ALL THE WORK

Tonniece said...

STUNNING,BEAUTIFUL, AMAZING.......
Love it all.
Really want to watch you work in the flesh.

will check out the rest of this weeks posts tomorrow, cause my eyes can't take too much more of popping out of my head tonight, Not to mention my poor jaw which can't seem to stay shut.

You so rock Mel

Karen said...

I cannot believe that I have found such a treasure...your blog is out of this world. I am not a stamper but I may be able to get caught up in this wonderful craft. I am a sewer and not just any conventional sewing..actually art-to-wear so this could be an extension of that. Thanks so very much.