Thursday, October 23, 2008

Shiny paint!!! Thanks Anna DaGenerous! :O) (and Damask Flowers)

Edited to add:
These gorgeous shiny paints are called Pearlescent paints. They're made by Yasutomo. Here's a link to them: Yasumtomo Pearlescent paints. Here's a google search on them & here's a video tutorial where they use them (on Scrapbook Lounge) in case you'd like to see some ideas for using them. They're great over markers. :O) Here's an amazing comparison of them & H2os by (they're also called Niji)...



I'm shamefully late in posting a proper thank you to my friend Anna DaGenerous (whom you may know as lovely Annapurna.) I made a random comment about needing H2Os and she surprised me with these. How ultra sweet is she, hey? That's how she got her nickname! ;O) I made this card ages ago with 'em, but haven't had time to post it*

These paints were so much fun to use. I was floored by the shimmer you can get. I like using them to paint a wash around the image too (you get a shininess on the white parts too) :O)

I had to use my new stamp from Paper Garden Projects with 'em. (I have loved this stamp for SO long and finally got it 'cause Cathy ordered it for the store. It's called Damask & you can find it here if you'd like one.) I lurve that it's acrylic and you can arrange it how you like or just use a piece of it. I first saw Irene (of Scrapperlicious) use it (man I am astounded by her talent; you can see the magic she works with it here.)

this was made as an homage to Irene's amazing style:



A short explanation of this card today 'cause I'm havin' too much fun putting the finishing touches on the Winter Stamp kit ideas for Paper Garden Projects! Did you know that the stamp kits come with pictures of some project ideas we make and instructions on how to do 'em? Neat huh? I can't wait to show you these cute images!

Here's a sneaky peaky!...



The black fishnet lookin' part is stitching in embroidery thread & it was done with a Scor-Pal grid as a guide. I just did this schtuff:
  • mounted the patterned paper (Basic Grey's Aged & Confused Vagabond VAG149) onto black cardstock to make it sturdy for sewing)
  • pierced holes where the grid meets
  • Stitched from the back & stuck it on the card

The top part of the card is a piece of Basic Grey's Fruitcake Jubilee/Spearmint FRU-609. The Damask leaves are stamped in black & shaded with the pearlescent paint...




The Damask flower is embossed in black craft ink & clear e.p. On Naturals white cardstock. Not sure if you can see the shimmer, but it's there and it's shimmery! :O)




The sentiment is from Fancy Pants In the Garden & it's stuck into Hodge Podge hardware and then filled with Crystal Lacquer to make it look heavily lacquered and then I stuck some dollar store gems on there, BUT apparently I didn't stick them on well enough... Gasp! Look away! Cover your eyes! It's a missing gem, LOL. (It wasn't me; I didn't do it. Nobody can prove anything! Oh wait, you have photographic evidence, heehee.) I'm slippin.


May all your gems be ultra sticky! lol :O)



*Do you ever feel like a (really out of shape) hamster spinnin' around in a wheel? LOL.

36 comments:

Lastel said...

Gorgeous card ! I sure love visiting your blog !

Ryann said...

What a beautiful card!!

Elena said...

Mel! This card is absolutely gorgeous! Love the shiny paints and the stamp! Beautiful! Stitching is so neat!
I didn't even noticed missing gem, just because the card is more than beautiful!
Can't wait to see your cute winter projects!

Jami said...

STUNNING!! Love that shiny paint - I've never seen that kind before!
hugs, Jami

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous card, love the shine.

smallcity

retiredheather said...

I agree Mel, what a wonderful stamp. I love how you colored it...love H2Os. Neat way to use thread. Great card.
Heather

Lorraine said...

Just off away to see my new Grandson Herbie but had to look into my favorite cardmakers Blog, Whow, wonderful going to miss you for a week how will I survive.

Melanie said...

Love this card, thsoe shiny paints look yummy! what a cute sneaky peek looks like a childnre's book I'd love...
LOL on the missing gem, I took 4 pics eysterday of a card only ot discover it had one of those little dimsnionals hexagons clinging to it in various places each time, UGH!

Annapurna said...

You don't have to thank me in a blog post. I am sure you thanked me enough.

I usually take mine outside and hold it in my hand and the angle at which it sparkles, I take a picture.

I love what you did with the stamps and the paints. Very pretty.

If you didn't write a paragraph about it, I wouldn't have even noticed. Fill the hole with crystal laquer too and then put the gem on top. Poor thing it didn't have much to stick to :-)

Janine said...

You lucky girl you!!! Anna was so nice to send those to you and you made a ultra fabulous card with them!!!
Have a great day Mel!

Jessica Diedrich said...

What a nice friend and an awesome nickname! LOL! I LOVE LOVE LOVE this card...so pretty and elegant!

Etha said...

cool schtuff! again :)
Man, I take one look at the image and thing whoah, that's Leigh Hannan RIGHT there ;) that's so cool they offer a lego set of these in CLEAR, I love clear stamps, especially in sets like these.
And what do I see that little guy with the giant snowball???? so darn cute!!
Is this release ready already, I can't wait much longer!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous. Wish I had your talent and patience.

Cindy Haffner said...

You always wow me, excellent.

Barb said...

OMG... this is so striking! Absolutely gorgeous... your painting is awesome!

Maria said...

Oooh, so pretty, Mel! The flower image is so elegant. I love how you colored the image. I absolutely love Twinkling H20s. . .my favorite color medium but I don't seem to be using them often enough nowadays.

How sweet of Anna to send you such a lovely gift. Have fun with your new coloring medium. . .can't wait to see all the lovely images you'll be coloring!!

maria

Michelle Frae Cummings said...

what a stunning card! thanks for sharing it with us!

Kim Etherington said...

I like that you made a long narrow card. The blue on the flower is so perty. :o) I can't wait to see more of your Winter Themed kit. Happy crazy crafting!

Catherine said...

Amazingly beautiful, Mel! Love, love, love that card!!!

Mari said...

So I have to know... ARE they H2O's? Cause I've only seen H2O's in those little pots, not in an awesome tray like that.
And yes, that is gorgeous! I love your painting, but am even more jealous of your ability to cut stuff out & it still looks good!

Unknown said...

Oh nooo...something else to add to the wish list . Got to have the shiny paints! MUST HAVE!!

Suzanne C said...

I love these paints and they are reasonably priced...Although my projects with them aren't as beautiful as yours! Love the card and how you used the watercolors.

Sheila D said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Marie said...

BEAUTIFUL! I really love the way you colored it. You must tell me where to get the shiny paints! Please!

Chris said...

Absolutely stunning Mel. I love the stamp and your stitching looks fantastic. Chris

Savitri said...

GORGEOUS GORGEOUS card! WOW! Love the shimmers! Need to get me some now!!!

Cathrine StClair said...

Beautiful card Mel! I'll have to look in to those paints!

Jennifer Love said...

WOW WEE! This is just beautiful!

Art By Wanda said...

A totally fabulous card!!!!

SparkofWhimsy said...

Stunning card!!!

I also have to ask, are those H2O's? I have some H2O's but mine are in pots and I'd love to have something in a tray that is so sparkly yummy! Could you please post the name of what they are if they are different?

Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

Aren't you a lucky girl!! Love what you did with them, your card is gorgeous!
smiles,Deena

Sharon (notimetostamp) said...

Oh my word! What a striking and eye catching card -- just stunning!!!

stampingcaz said...

your blog is amazing.. I MUST have those winter stamps... do they ship to the UK??
Caz
stampingcaz@btinternet.com

Curt in Indy said...

What a stunning card! These paints are wonderful! I love the effect you got. As always, thanks for all the information and links. You are amazing! Best, Curt

CreativeMish said...

I have this stamp and love it! I love how you painted it! Very beautiful! I'll have to go check the link to that beutiful shiny paint!

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

Amazing card Mel...your colouring is fantastic. Now you must stop enabling me. I never heard of these before and now I need them. How'd that happen?