Sunday, December 7, 2008

Note Top Purse Templates

Okay, my posts have been kind of sucky lately & I am sadly MIA in blogland. Sorry, it breaks my heart, but I've been so awfully burnt out. Hopefully this big fat purse tutorial & template will make up for it a little. :O)



This is a flat topped version of this ol' purse template. I tried to improve on the old one, so that it prints better & is easier to score (and hopefully this Tut. will make it easier for anyone who wanted to try it but wasn't sure how it went together.

There are two sizes (Medium & Small), so that the label templates (square & rectangle) can be used as purse flaps. The fun part about the flap is that it lets you dress it up a little more. These ones are embossed and stitched and lined and stuff...



I love the funkiness of the Basic Grey Urban Prairie against white.



See that stripey texture? Well, I'm bursting with excitement about that amazing paper company--aptly named Paper Temptress. The paper I used for this project is called Classic Columns. It's got the texture of fancy smooth watercolour paper but with these columns of stripes. The weight of it made it the nicest paper I've ever built a box with, sighhhh.

Templates are all linked here:

Small purse & stuff
Medium purse, Score Guide & stuff


The Small Purse Templates


The Medium Purse Templates




Supplies:

Cardstock: White Classic Columns cardstock
Patterned Paper: Basic Grey Urban Prairie
Cuttlebug Folders:
Swiss Dots, Floral Fantasy, Textile
Miscellaneous:
Embroidery thread (turquoise, Hot Pink, Apple Green); Basic Grey Urban Prairie Brads, Filigree embellishments from SU
Tools/Basics:
Scor-Pal, Paper piercer, Needle & thread, Oh So Sticky tape

Puttin' it together:
  • Building the Box


Step 1) Print template directly onto the column cardstock (speeeedy Baby!)



Step 2) One way to make scoring this really easy is to cut strategically:
A) cut roughly (leaving the score marks at the top of the purse (marked in blue below)
B) Then cut right to the template line in the Vs of the purse marked in red bellow





Step 3) After cutting strategically, you can line up the top line & the V on your Scor-Pal, or use whatever scoring method you like.



Step 4) Score the box where the dotted lines on the Score Guide indicate & crease the folds.



Step 5) Assemble the box. Line up the top of the flaps for tidiness.

Here's where I like to put the adhesive:



...looks a lot like a diaper, heehee. But it is a purse. :O) Having the two side flaps on the outside make a nice triangle. Alternatively, you could have the rounded flap (small middle one) on the outside. [For an example of the flap on the outside, please see this post.]


  • Makin' a Lined, Embossed & Stitched Purse Flap:


Step 1 ) Trace the label template onto the back of patterned paper



Step 2) Stick the patterned paper down to the white column cardstock



Step 3) Use the patterned paper as a guide to cut the white cardstock away



Step 4) Pierce around the edges of the label shape

Step 5 ) Cuttlebug both the layers



Step 6) Adhere the thread end where it'll be hidden (on the patterned side at one of the pointier points) :O) The Cuttlebug embossing hides the stitches a little which gives a nice look, but you can still sew 'em.


Step 7) Stitch around the label shape

  • Adding the Purse Flap:


Step 1) Score from point to point (the smaller points) and fold it



Step 2) Place the flap onto the box & mark where the back is (being sure to leave enough room for the middle section will make the fit nice) :O)



Step 3) Use those markings to score the second line (blue dotted line markings above) and fold it



Step 4) Pierce three holes in the back small section for brads
(makes it much stronger)



Step 5) Mark the holes onto the box with a pencil



Step 6) Pierce three holes. [Depending on your comfort level with piercing you may wanna do this with a hole punch, or you can use a needle to create a pilot hole for piercing (less chance of buckling)]



Step 7) Add brads



To make the lined handle, I did this schtuff...
  1. Cut a piece of Classic Columns cardstock (1 inch by 8 inches)
  2. Cut a piece of Urban Prairie paper (also 1 inch by 8 inches)
  3. Pierce holes along both sides of the handle.
  4. To get tidy stitching on both sides of the handle, thread a needle & put it through the handle piercing so that the thread end is adhered where it will be hidden when you attach the handle to the purse.
  5. Stitch it up with thread
  6. Use Oh So Sticky tape to stick the handle on.
And that's it..



Happy Craftin' You Crafty Peoples You!



P.S. If you have loved ones on your list who'd like purse boxes, but you wanna switch it up a little & make a variety, there are 151 purses templates & tuts here.

29 comments:

Chris said...

You are way too tough on yourself!! Your posts are always beautifully done, as are your projects! I normally read by Google Reader so I don't post much but please don't feel pressured by the blog! :) We want you to post when you can, and when you want!!

Thanks for always inspiring!

poupetteval said...

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww stunning , your ideas are so wonderful !!!!! TFS

Unknown said...

Each and every time I visit your blog you blow me away with your creativity. Ty for sharing.
lablady2007@juno.com

Unknown said...

Each and every time I visit your blog you blow me away with your creativity. Ty for sharing.
lablady2007@juno.com

Unknown said...

oops .sorry about that happy fingers !

Valarie (vampme3) said...

OMG! These are spectacular!!! Thank you so much for sharing the templates!!

Dawn said...

OMWord Mel...I love them!

Anonymous said...

Mel, this is so, so, so cute!!! Take time for yourself hon. That way, when you come back you'll be recharged!!
--Becca

Shirley said...

They are all beautiful~~and the instructions are excellent as always!

Heidi Kimmerly said...

WOW! Your ideas are stunning - love this little purses! I LOVE your creativity! Sorry you are feeling burnt out - take a bit of a break and do something nice just for yourself!

Hugs

Savitri said...

Too too cute!!! I love your post, whatever they may be :)

Peggy Maier said...

Nice, easy to follow tutorials - you've done it again! I appreciate all your hard work!!! I don't comment much, but you can be sure I'm always reading your blog via RSS feed. It's so well done. Just post when you can & don't let yourself get caught up in the "I HAVE to post every day" syndrome - your blog should be fun for YOU!

Rhonda Kelly said...

WOW! Those are stunning. I love everything about them, all the details that you put into them are so fabulous! Great job, thanks so much for sharing..

Kim Etherington said...

These are so stunning in person. Photo's somehow don't show the true beauty of creations. Again, I think we are all way too spoiled by you and you deserve time off.

Anonymous said...

Another rock'n purse tutorial. Hurray for us!! and for you for pulling off another beauty. I hear you about being burned out. On top of "life", blogging is a full-time career for some of us and you pull out the stops on all your posts that I wonder just how you do it.

boynecitygrl said...

You are the most awsome girlfriend. I think that we all speak loudly and clearly " we are your fans" I have left more comments here than on any other blog. I come here first in the a.m. Hang in there girl.

Blessings,

Beth F

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous project!!! I just love all the detail in these purses. Fabulous tutorial too!

Anonymous said...

Whoa, these are gorgeous!!! Your creativity lives on awesome street! Thanks for the tutorial, too:)

Anonymous said...

EEEEEKKKKK!!! I'm catching up on my blgs and HOLY COW!! These are ADORABLE!! I just bought some "purse" frames for some co-workers and I'm thinking that these Purses just might hold those little gifts!! Thanks for sharing!!

Elena said...

Oh, Mel! You are so kind! I love your purses! This paper really gives a nice texture! And the flaps are just gorgeous! Lots of deatiled work! Thank you for sharing the template!

Unknown said...

Mel,

Thank you for ALL your creative postings. They are so inspiring. I love all your projects.

tipsygirl said...

Mel you are amazing.
keep up the good work, and take it easy on yourself.

Maria said...

Wow, my burnt and your burnt out are not the same. Mine is "I can't make anything" let alone blog! LOL! Thank you for always posting such wonderful projects and sharing all that you do. . .I am very appreciate of all of them.

YOur purse. . .well, is absolutely gorgeous. As always, the details just blows me away. Your work shows 100% dedication to the art!!

Hope you take the time to rest and enjoy any time off you have, especially during Christmas!! We'll still be here so take all the time you need to rejuvinate and to take time for yourself!! Your happiness is most important!!

Maria

Maria said...

Hey Mel!! I just wanted to let you know that I created a purse using your template. It was so fun creating them! I love your templates. ..been going through your numerous templates deciding which to create next. . there's so many of them and they are all fabulous it's hard to decide. Thank you for sharing them!!

Here is my purse:

http://stampininspirations.blogspot.com/2009/02/cb-embossed-purse-project.html

Maria

Becky said...

Mel I love these, they are gorgeous, but most of what you do is gorgeous. thanks for sharing with us.

Anonymous said...

These are incredible. Thank you so much for sharing. I am going to try to make one and maybe do some as bridal shower favors for my niece. You rock.

Anonymous said...

wow! I just found your blog, its amazing!!!
www.ECObyLimitz.etsy.com

Tina Crea said...

Oh wonderful !

Thank you very much for sharing.

BYE

Bourbonnatrix said...

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I used your template to make make little purses to package my white chocolate lemon truffles. They are nowhere near as cute as yours, you're very talented! And probably way more patient that I!

Thanks for the tutorial!