Wednesday, September 24, 2008

J is for... Jeweled Purse Boxes (for the ABC Challenge Blog!)


ABC challenge blog has weekly challenges based on each letter of the alphabet (too clever!) This week's theme was J is for Jewels! Jewels!?! How can a girl resist? You can play along here. :O)


Template Details: I just had to make a new purse template 'cause I wanted one that would have lots of room for a jeweled Scor-Pal grid. The finished purses end up measuring 5 1/4 wide at the bottom by 3 1/2 inches high. They're 1 1/2 inches deep. You could put 3x3 or 4x4 inch notecards and envelopes in them or a little gifty (Jewelery perhaps?) ;O)

Here's how to make these little jeweled purses:


Black Jeweled Purse Supplies:


Scor-Pal (to quilt it)
Gems (to jewel it)
Cardstock (I used black SU cardstock stamped with French Script & It's About Time in bleach & a brown textured c.s.)
Metal embellishments (these are from the dollar store in Newmarket Ontario) :O)
Primas (these are from Close to my Heart)
Stuff to sew: Thread, paper piercer, needle
Good double-sided tape
Sakura Glitter pen

Building the Purse Box:

Step 1: Print purse box template, score it, & cut it out. (There's a detailed tutorial on how to build a box here.)

Step 2: Score a grid onto the box with a Scor-Pal; this quilts it nicely & helps you place the jewels evenly. (Alternatively, you could also draw a grid with a glitter pen, stamp with SU's Polka Dot background stamp and use those marks to place the gems.)




Step 3: Add adhesive & build box




I like the tab on the outside but you could tuck it in since when the two large flaps are stuck together, the temlate makes a nice little upsidedown 'V' or pointy shape (technical name) ;O)




I added some stitching to the little flap.




Step 4: Make the handle. I did this schtuff...
  1. Cut a piece of cardstock (1 inch by 8 inches)
  2. Paper pierce it
  3. Stitch it with thread (using doublesided tape on the back instead of knots)
  4. Cut another piece of cardstock (also 1 inch by 8 inches)
  5. Stick the second strip on on the back of the stitched handle. 2 colours looks snifty.
  6. Use double sided tape to stick the handle on & pierce it with the brads (in the flower centers) for extra hold

To Make the Flowers:








I painted the CTMH primas with Tim Holtz's Distress Crackle paint
(in black) and I stamped some with French Script in Black Stazon ink.




The centers are made by embellishing some some decorative brads (by sticking gems on 'em with Crystal Lacquer.) Then I stuck the brads through the flower & through the handle of the handbag:








For the pink purse I did this schtuff:
  • ...used the new Pink Pirouette cardstock from Stampin' Up!
  • ...made a smaller grid (lots o' bling Baby!) ;O)
  • ...distressed the edges of the purse with black marker & added faux stitches
  • ...used gem brads & SU's platinum Hodge Podge Hardware
  • ...Stitched the handle with black thread.




Happy Stampin'!!! :O) See you Friday!




P.S.
Like purses? 100+ more purse templates here.
Into that Scor-Pal? 100+ more things to do with your Scor-Pal here.



57 comments:

Paula's ponderings said...

wow these purses wouldnt look out of place at Harrods or Harvey Nicks (other large fantabulous outrageously expensive department stores are available!) or indeed in my wardrobe. Truly scrumptious!!!

Jami said...

These are fabulous!! I love all those gems and scoring!! Wow!!
smiles, Jami

Suzanne C said...

Very Stylish!

Annapurna said...

I love these. My head is spinning with ideas for uses for these purses. Going to make one for the little one.

I can't decide who is the hardware queen, you or Deb. You ladies seem to have the most awesome hardware I have ever seen.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge once again.

Anonymous said...

What a stunner these purses are! Your work is amazing Mel. I just love the scoring - you have inspired me to get out the scor Pal.

xo
Suzy

K Hutchinson said...

OH my heavens Mel! These purse are just gorgeous! You always ROCK the challenges! The purses have so much details they are awesome!

Donna Baker said...

You did it AGAIN! wow, LOVE these so much & definitely will make one some day! TFS

Chris said...

These purses are just FANTASTIC. So pretty and all that bling...drool:) They really are fabulous...thanks so much for sharing!!

Unknown said...

Wow Mel... these look incredible!!! it's hard to believe they are made from paper! I feel totally inspired to have a go at creating one myself :)
BTW thanks for your lovely comments - I would love to see you do some scrapping, and have a feeling it would be fabulous!!!
Aga xx

Anonymous said...

These are so beautiful and look so real.

Michelle Pearson said...

MEL!!!!!! These are ADORABLE! I'm SO going to have to try to make one of these! Yours are splendiferous!

Barb said...

Gorgeous! So much bling... so little time...

Anonymous said...

Hey your purses would look great on the Red Carpet! Love the look. I wonder how much time they took you to make? Thanks for sharing this awesome project. Darlene

Toni K said...

Wow! You put a lot of time into these. They are Gorgeous!

Bonnie said...

Honestly Mel! You are amazing!

Kim Etherington said...

Oh my god.. I love these purses! They are ultra trendy and fab. You rock!!! What cute gifts they'd make for gifts.. put a little gift card in them or little stamping stuff etc. Too cool!

Cathy said...

These are amazing - they look better than the purse I use to go out with LOL!! So much time has gone into these.
Thank you for joining in the ABC challenge this week.
Cathy xx

Alison said...

My goodness they are stunning love the, thanks for playing along with us this week on ABC.

Lorraine said...

Just gorgeous Mel just know which outfit these would go with !!!

Jackie said...

Those are awesome!! How do you manage to come up with all of your wonderful ideas? Keep them coming!

Unknown said...

thanks ever so much mel for joining in and publicising ABC, i have left the DT due to uni taking over life but ur help is still much appreciated.... and now i have these gorgeous purses to add to my to do one day list lol xxxx

Janine said...

F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!!! I think you DO need a rest!! See you every other day!
Thanks for all you do!!

Marcea said...

Wow wow and bigger WOW!!!! These bags are divine. I want one now!!! They are stunning. Thankyou for joining us this week on the ABC challenge
-x-

Deb Neerman said...

WoWzA, Mel-a-Licious, you've done it again! Why do I keep comin' back here ... torturin' myself with my lack of papercraftin' finesse?!?

Oh. Wait. I remember ... 'cuz I {heart} you big lots, THAT's why!!

Great tutorial and template ... thanks for sharin', Ms. A-Licious; I am not worthy ....

PS: YOU have better hardware than I ... of this, I am certain!

-Huggles!

Tonniece said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!
These are to die for Mel. I love them. I'd be only too proud to tote them around strut'in my stuff.

Tiff said...

WOW! I'm not a flower or bling a bling bling sorta girl, but this is beautiful!!!! Love what you did to the primas :) I have a whole stash that feels neglected!

dragonflydreamer said...

Your purses are so glamorous, thank you for sharing. I have been wanting a scor pal and now I know I must have one so I can make these purses for my neices. I am also new to your blog, but I fell in love and subscribed. You are so talented and inspiring!

Anonymous said...

It definately can't get better than this. Girl, I don't know how you manage to create such draw-dropping projects day after day. You are the bomb!

Anonymous said...

Mel!!! You are making me drool! I am sooo trying this. Fabu!!
smiles,Deena

Maria said...

Gosh, Mel. . your purse looks so pretty. So pretty, you could actually use it like a real purse! LOL! Wouldn't that be interesting?

I'm really lovin' the blings and the pretty embellishments!! Gotta put this on my list to do!!

Maria

Etha said...

wow, your purses are blingie fabulous!!

Joani McDonald said...

Those purses are so adorable! They'd be cute for a princess party! Too bad my DD is too old for that.
Once again - super awesome job!
Hugs,
Joani

Mrs. Nancy G said...

So amazing!!! I LOVE THEM BOTH!!!

Thanks for sharing the tutorial too!!! BONUS!!!!

:-)

Melanie said...

these are the most gorgeous things ever!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, Mel!!! These are classy and absolutely gorgeous. Such detail -= they are fantastic in every way!!

Unknown said...

Hi Mel - really love your purses, how you've decorated them etc., they're gorgeous. Definitely a winning entry for this "J for jewels" challenge. AND a template for us to use....you're a jewel!!!

lol Maria x

Risa said...

Your jeweled purses are awesome Mel!
The impact of the scoring and gems is striking and I love the finished results!
I'm going to have to try this technique at home and TFS!!!

Shirley said...

Hey Mel, terrific! I love both of them. Wow. What great gift boxes and what great keepsakes too.

Victoria said...

fantastic purses, thank you for joining us on abc this week

Dizzy Broad said...

I so missed your purses!! I mean, don't get me wrong...I've also been enjoying all the Halloweenie stuff but these purses...!!! Absolutely adorable and look so real! I'll have to and try that technique with the score pal. Thank you for sharing the template!! - gigi

Cathrine StClair said...

This is awesome Mel!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful purses, Mel. And your tutorials are so great. You don't need to go to video - these are perfect! I started to check your blog every other day and discovered I am getting behind!! Thanks for all the links, too.

Swedie

Elena said...

Mel, you are a STAR! Love it!!! They are so beautiful! Love your ideas on the flowers! Thank you very much for your great tutorial!

Catherine said...

Tres Chic, Mel! Love all of the adornments you used!

stampingmarianne said...

Don't have words for this. Beautiful is an underestimate it!
amazing work!

marianne

Bev said...

Utterly stunning! I am lost for words!!!!

hugs Bev x

Erum Tasneem said...

oh wow Mel, this is too good! As soon as i get better i will check out your other posts too.

Unknown said...

When you get 48 comments on a post, you know you have something pretty great going on!

You were the Runner Up Tutorial of the Week at Card of the Week.com. You can see the original post here.

I did use a picture from your post, with links back to the site and the original post. I hope that is OK. Please feel free to email me if you need me to change anything.

I also have an “I was featured” on badge for you if you want it :D

Thanks again for sharing!

Anthonette said...

OMGosh! These are adorable. I've been looking for these type of templates. Thank you for putting together such a nice tutorial. Thanks for also supplying links to so many other purses.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic purses!! Looks like they just came off the designer runway in Paris. Thank you so much for sharing your gorgeous work.
Janislu

Bentov Anat said...

Mel Mccarthy You have a fantastic blog. wonderful designes.Thanks for sharing the tutorial, Thanks for your comment in my blog about my version to the jeweled purse.

http://bentovanat.blogspot.com/2008/10/blog-post_09.html

Monica said...

Thank you for your wonderful blog. I´ve tried one of your templates and I just love it. If you wanna see the result, you can visit my blog on this adress:

http://stensaxochpase.blogspot.com/2009/03/forsta-paskpysslet.html

Thanks again for your lovely inspiration!

Akwaba said...

Thank you for all you share with us. I made one of your beautiful purse, you can see it on my blog:
http://coco-creations.blogspot.com/2009/07/sac-main.html
Sincerely.

Anonymous said...

Those are gorgeous! That pink one really looks like pink studded leather!

Shoshi said...

Hi Mel, Thanks for these gorgeous handbag designs! I've made one up which you can see on my blog. There's so much potential for boxes like this - they make the simplest gift (small bag of chocolates, a soap, etc.) into something really special. Thanks so much for the inspiration as usual!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the inspiration! I CASED your idea, but made it large enough for A2 cards.

Romeo said...

kindly tell the name of sheet using for these purses.