Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Little Nymph at Night

Just experimenting with some digital backgrounds...


This looks way better in person, honest!
(Does that happen to you with photos of your projects?)

Another black background card.
Again, with an image from a Day for Daisies...

A little window into a night-time world:

a day for daisies pixie at night by mel stampz with graphics fairy castle

I wasn't 100% happy with the sky. In hindsight, I would have printed the background differently than I did for this, so I've added a snippet of sky as an afterthought, in case you'd like to try it instead of messing about with painting the background like I did in the steps listed below. :o)



1... the image: Little Nymph from ADFD
2... details on the weird process of this card
3... free digital image: Castle from The Graphics Fairy

-1-
A Day for Daisies digital image:


Little Nymph

a day for daisies Little nymph at night by mel stampz with graphics fairy castle CLOSE
(I added an extra leaf to the very end of the branch)

-2-

(some of the stuff
done to make this card)

To make the Little Nymph on a branch:

Printed, heat embossed the digital image, coloured it and painted it with pearlescent paint

Step 1} Heat-emboss the little nymph image on Paris Bleedproof from the printer. Print and emboss extra bits: I printed extra butterfly wings so they'd be 3d, and some extra leaves as well.

Step 2} Colour her in with Copic markers & Cut her out.

Step 3} Paint over the colouring with sheer pearlescent paint.


To make the night-time castle landscape and the night sky:

printed the castle landscape from the Graphics Fairy Darkened

Step 1} print the darkened Castle Landscape from the Graphics Fairy twice.
I printed it at 36% to get an A2 sized card

1A} Use one printing to cut the castle out of and crop it to fit your card. Add a strip of black lace on cardstock.

Make the sky Background:

backgound

1B} Use one printing to make the night sky.

-Print it & distress it to obscure the castle
-Smudge the castle with watery brown paint wash (blend the printer ink with some brown paint & water)

Step 2} Add pressure embossing & distressing to it:

2A} Trim the printed and distressed sky
2B} Pressure emboss it with a Cuttlebug embossing folder & machine
2C} sand it a little to expose some of the white core of the light cream cardstock that it was printed on.
2D} Squish the cuttlebug embossing (so it isn't quite as raised anymore) by running it through the Cuttlebug again, but this time outside of the folder. (Please see this post, if you'd like more details on squishing pressure embossing).

Pierced holes to stitched on beads and added white paint and glitter pen to make the stars glow

Step 3} Pierce holes to stitch on beads for stars in the sky & add white paint and glitter pen around the beads to make the stars glow.

adhere it to a standard-sized A2 card (4-1/4 x 5-1/2 when folded)

Step 4} Add a quote inside the card

adfd pixie card inside

(The text is printed from a word document on an inkjet printer &
embossed with clear embossing powder on Borden & Riley
#234 Paris Bleedproof 108lb paper for pens):

heat embossed text on paris bleedproof paper adfd pixie card mel stampz
(Love the texture that embossing from the printer gives! Which is why I never shut up about it. ;o) More blah-blah about how to digitally emboss with an ink jet printer in this older post.)

-3-

Castle landscape from the
Graphics Fairy


I cropped it, flipped it & turned it dark:
landscape flipped & darkened
And it's here on Flickr as a (PNG file)

Here's a larger piece of sky

It will print (from the PDF) to be approximately:
8 inches wide by 4 1/2 inches tall

PNG here on Flickr:
(with the PDF linked in the description there)
Snippet of Graphics Fairy sky by mel stampz

JPG version of the snippet of sky:


Clickable Blogger photos:




Hope you're having a magical week!


27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my heavens this is awesome! All the stuff you do is outstanding though! I love this image! You ROCK!!!!

Dawn said...

loove when your mind experiments! fabulous as usual kiddo!!
hugs!

Kraftymom said...

love it!
you always make awesome tutorials :)

McStamper said...

Oh my gosh that is absolutely one of the most wonderful cards I have ever seen - and to think I almost didn't look because nymphs and fairies aren't usually my thing. But this is just precious. Thanks so much for sharing the information.

Suzi said...

I'm not a fairy-fan, but you've made a masterpiece! I love it! TFS!

PepPop said...

Incredible! Jaqui x

Karina said...

I am following your blog quite a while now and always admire your gorgeous creations and tutorials. Now I want to let you know.. finally.. you are pure inspiration!! I love all those things you do. So special and unique. Thank you so much for sharing with us.
Hugs, Karina

Rachel Hope said...

GASP!!!! This is STUNNING! I Love Love Love everything about it!!!

Holly Young said...

love it Mel! My favorite part is the stars.

wwilloww said...

I love it Mel!!! It so evokes nighttime!! I think the sky has so much depth to it that it really feels like we, like your fairy, is enjoying the vastness of the universe!!

Myrna said...

Mel
This is absolutely gorgeous and the tut is wonderful.
thanks
Myrna

leslie (crookedstamper) said...

Don't EVAH shut up about it! I want to try it sooooooo bad. And now I want that nymph image, too. GAH!

leslie (crookedstamper) said...

PS: What font is that for the text?

Chelsea said...

Gorgeous!!

ackstay said...

stunning... I love this

patricia said...

fabulous idea...

Erum Tasneem said...

wow! Mel this is stunning! What a brilliant idea to make a scene this way! This is fantabulous!

itsazoo said...

Mel, that card is soooooooooo
sweet.....Truth is everything you do
is so lovely and you work so hard on
the things you do and it shows.....
Thanks for sharing and the tutorials
you do.....I learn so much from you.
Thanks.....Hope you are feeling better.....

Clare said...

Wow!! ABSOLUTELY wonderful!

Mari said...

Gorgeous Mel! Love your sky! Although you are an enabler extraordinaire... ADFD is one of fave places now! :)

Beth aka BR-T said...

This is phenomenal!

Christy/Tiddly Inks Digitals said...

Wow...that is fantastic!!

karen irvine said...

what a beautiful card, mel! you are soo talented! and thanks for sharing all the how-to stuff! that's a lot of work for you. we appreciate it!

Chris said...

It is so cool even on my computer screen! You are amazing... :)

CarlaKH said...

oh my word.. this is so magical- so much detail and depth!

Unknown said...

WOW this is gorgeous, I think I'm gonna do a card like this too will let you know when it's ready
hugs
Ildiko

Lindalou said...

You are absolutely brilliant! I LOVE THIS CARD! It transports me to Fairy Land!
Thank you, sweet girl! ❤️
Blessings!
Linda