Saturday, October 1, 2011

Happy World Card Making Day (and Merry Kissmas?)

Happy World Card Making Day,
Everybody!

Merry Kissmas card and envelope
And Merry Kissmas?

Are ya starting to notice Christmas cards popping up everywhere?
Guess it's that time again, hey?

Here's an little idea for a card & box set
using a sweet ol' MFT stamp called Merry Kissmas
Or if you prefer digital, you can find it here.

The image is cut out & stuck onto a heat embossed background
and a torn piece of white cardstock for a hill.
The little girl's coat & the snowman's hat are paper pieced (old S.U. paper)

The card base
is 14o lb watercolour paper embossed with
a large Cuttlebug folder (the Winter Wonderland set)

The matching gift box:

Kissmass gift box

Just a super simple box made with pale blue & red cardstock to fit a gift
and a little snowflake embellishment on the bow made from the
EK Success/Martha Stewart snowflake punch & a crystal.

The mistletoe is fancied up with teensy pearl beads stitched on
& shaded with grey marker to make them stand out:

kissmass mistletoe with pearl seed beads

The mistletoe leaves are cut out so that they look clean against
the heat embossed snowy background.

The snow heat embossing effect was made this way...

1) Stamp & heat emboss a dotted background two times: once in pale blue ink embossed in clear embossing powder & once on white pigment ink with white embossing powder

2) Sprinkle loose white embossing powder over the sky & heat it from behind to set it in place (but not have the air from the heat gun blow the loose powder away).

There's a full pictorial for the sprinkled heat embossing here:





Thanks for having a look.
Hope you
get a chance to craft today,



P.S. On a personal note:

Bye Bye Mean Old Mister Migraine Monster!

Sorry I've been missing this week--migraine & flu, but YAY: methinks the cause of the recent return of the killer migraines is rooted out! We had switched dishwasher detergents trying to find the greenest brand. The migraines seem to be fading now that we have switched back!

It always seems to be scent or chemical triggers, for me. Now, we use only baking soda, vinegar, Doctor Bronner's all-in-one Castille soap, and ultra green shampoo & conditioner by Carina (grapefruit & deep conditioner) which surprisingly has made my hair 10 times nicer). But finding the right dishwasher soap has been problematic... Anywho, just thought I would share all this in hopes that it might help some of you fellow sufferers out.

22 comments:

Crafty Loops said...

This is beautiful, love the image. Lee xx

Carole M. said...

oh that's such a sweet card; thanks for sharing.

Dawn said...

too stinkin cute... as usual

AWESOME NEWS about Mr M!!

xoxo

mamita said...

Gorgeous project, thanks for sharing.

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

Mel--these are super cute! I LOVE how you added the extra snow and heated it from behind--totally trying that out! LOVE LOVE LOVE:)

Also--I get TONS of migraines. Bad ones (once I had it 18 days in a month--not all in a row, but very close). Do you mind telling me what you started checking first and how yours are going away? I have one today--on WCMD!!! BOOO! I'm thankful that you shared your story today--thanks for your help:)

sbmmhoover at yahoo dot com

Holly Young said...

So happy to hear you are feeling better and hopefully have found the cause of your migraines. Your little set is darling. I love how you've shaded the snowman and your snow fall rocks!

Kate said...

I LOVE this!! Hope your migraine leaves you alone so you can get back to your crafting. Awesome projects!!

Rae said...

This is the cutest Christmas card! Love it!

patience said...

i simply had no idea there was a world card making day! now if only i wasn't so intent on making every form of stationery EXCEPT cards...then i could celebrate too, lol :)

Erum Tasneem said...

How super cute is that mistletoe!!! Love it! The sprinkling idea is great too. your blog is like a library, whenever I am at a dead end, I come rushing here to look for stuff. Thank you for all that you do even when you are not feeling well. I am so happy migraine is fading away... mine started because of "smoke"...

Glennis F said...

That is great news re your migraines - I hope that is the answer for you!

Crafting Aberrigines said...

I have a question ..
Will you let me have a teeny tiny piece of your creative mind ?
I am in love with your creativity ..
Have been following everything on your blog ..however this is the first time I am commenting because somehow I was always so engrossed in your posts I'd eventually forget about comments and blogs !
Safe to say I am besotted
Love
Kalindi
http://craftingaberrigines.blogspot.com/

lilscrappers said...

ohhhh, puts me in the mood to make a christmas card :)

CinnamonSally said...

Hi Mel what a brilliant card and box, please visit my blog to see the card I have made inspired by this.
http://cinnamonsally-designedbysally.blogspot.com/2011/10/inspired-by-mel.html

Thanks for sharing this fun technique.

jintyoo7 said...

Such a pretty card!
I see your cat likes to craft too :D

alexandra s.m. said...

Mel,

You shouldn't "feel" like a magician, you should know that you ARE a magician! There's no doubt in my mind about that!! Your card is divine and your magic touch makes all the difference in the world! Wow!

Thank You ~

Anette said...

Such a gorgeous card! Love the snowy background, I will have to try that! Thanks for the inspiration!

sunghee said...

This yea, I shall try your snow embossing technique. So pretty. Amazing as usual!!!

Unknown said...

Just love that card! So cute.
BTW - have you seen the homemade dish detergent recipe? I have it here: http://pinterest.com/pin/57141389/ I do get headaches from scents as well and they are no fun at all.

Michelle Quinno said...

This is precious!!

Victoria said...

Merry Kissmas:) That is great... what a fun card to share.

Chris said...

The red box is Stunning!
Chris