Tuesday, November 17, 2009

LPS release day {I Heart} & {For You}

please click the photos, if you'd like to see larger versions

This balloon cutie is one of the stamps in the Little Paper Shop's new
stamp set {i Heart} It's perfect for
paper piecing...so I did a little quilted paper piece
with catalogue scraps...


The words on the two backgrounds are all from
the other new LPS set {For You}



1...new & nifty LPS sets release today!
2...quilted paper piecing
3...two types of embossed backgrounds
4...cheap tricks: DIY custom chip board (from stamps/digis paper & glue)
&...Copic coloured mats

-1-
Today is an LPS release day!!!

{I Heart}

{I Heart} Gallery

+

And there's a big sale on sale too!
Read all about it HERE on the LPS blog, if you like:

:o)

-2-
...quilted paper piecing





Stamps: new LPS stamps: {I Heart} & {For You}


Step 1} punch some squares. Enough to cover a section (and a little larger) than the stamp you want to paper piece)

Tools: I used a 3/4" square punch (by Paper Shapers) Of course, any square/rectangular... punch or cuts made by hand will do nicely.)

Cheap trick: This is a handy way to use up wee scraps or magazine pages. This is the Cosmo Cricket Summer 2009 catalogue again. ;o)



Step 2} Spread some adhesive on a piece of paper (in a section larger than the stamp you want to paper piece.)



Step 3} Stick your squares on it in a pleasing pattern



Step 4}
Stamp (or emboss your image)

Digital TIP: This would work with digital images too. Just make sure you start off by gluing the bits on a full sheet to fit your printer & have no excess glue to gum things up, of course.



Step 5} Cut out your image. I also stamped the cute little basket for the balloon (on the left) over text paper & coloured it with Copic markers...

...and added little silver gel pen stitches to the balloon as well :


-3-
two types of embossed backgrounds:



Create the round thrice-embossed background:

A) Cut a white circle of cardstock
B) Heat Emboss the {i Heart} balloon in black ink & clear e.p.
C) Heat Emboss the sentiments from {For You} over that in clear....and.....


....then...
D) Sponge on light turquoise ink
E) Run it through a Cuttlebug folder to dry emboss it



Make an embossed sentiment background:


A) Cut some cardstock to fit your card (this is Cream Velvet Touch--it's like fabric paper!)
B) Stick sentiments (these are all from {For You})
C) Emboss the sentiments using white pigment ink & white embossing powder



Finishing the card off...
  • Doodle & cut out some clouds onto paper from an old book.
  • Add silver gel pen & Stardust glitter to the cloud outline...
  • Pre-Layer everything onto the card to decide on the layout...
  • Adhere the two clouds & bead the edge of the mat (if you like)
  • Cut dotted paper (GCD Party it Up collection) & May Arts ribbon
  • Glue it all together :o)


-4-
Homemade Custom chipboard:
(with stamped/printed images)



The balloon & the clouds are all layered using this
ultra affordable way to get dimension:


Homemade Custom chipboard:

A) Stamp & embellish your image however you like.
B) Adhere a couple of layers of scrap paper together (a little larger than your stamped image.)
C) Stick your stamped image on the layered cardstock & cut it out
D) Adhere it to your project:



What I like about this sneaky chipboard:
  • It's couldn't cost less if it tried!
  • It's really easy, & really speedy to make
  • It uses up scraps of cardstock (any colour)
  • It feels nice & dense (though it does have a little weight to it)
  • You can make it as thin or thick as you like
  • Adds dimension that costs way less than foam tapes
  • More pleasing aesthetically than foam tape & more durable
  • It's also acid free (assuming your paper & adhesive are acid free)
  • You could make it any colour you like by gluing that colour of cardstock or....
  • You can colour the sides of the "chipboard" with a marker (match backgrounds)
  • Makes great gifts: card/scrapbook candy ornaments, pendants, magnets...
  • It's easy to glitter or embellish for funky custom looks
  • You could even stitch/ bead it by working up your first image layer & then gluing on the layers to hide stitches
and an old cheapy...

colour patterned paper with a marker
to get a custom colour mat to
match your image or patterned paper just-so.


Thanks so much for flying by today!
Hope your day is a lovely lovely lovely one,
:o)
mel

13 comments:

♥ Lydia ♥ said...

So adorable Mel!!! Love it! ♥♥♥

Deepa Gopal said...

Wonderful...Fab work Mel.
I too Love it!

Libby Dyson said...

I love this idea Mel - great work and thanks for being so generous and sharing your talent

Unknown said...

adorable, I love this card.

Chris said...

Your projects are always great and sometimes intimidating (I still always look, oohh and ahhh!) :) This is one I can do!! I love it - really, really amazing card.

Heather D. ~ Fresh Brewed Designs said...

you never cease to amaze me. I always expect the most wonderful things when I visit your blog ... but even thugh I am prepared, I am always still blown away! Thank you for all the work you put into your cards and for all the time you spend sharing the 'how to's' with us. You are amazing Mel!

Congrats on being showcased on Craft Gossip's site.

Holly Young said...

This is really cute. I love your word clouds.

Dawn said...

cute,cute,cute! and GMTA! I use your same trick with paper (saves on dimensionals!)
hugs!

Kim Etherington said...

This is so beautiful. I love the patterned paper quilting you did and the raised/embossed parts. Beautiful sky and curves too!

Elena said...

Adorable card, Mel! I love the quilted heart! And your beading work is so gorgeous!

Jason said...

How's it going?

I just found your blog and I think it's great. I like reading personal blogs, and I find it a lot better than most other categories. Listen, I have a blog myself that provides inspiration and guidance to millions of people around the world. I would like us to do a link exchange and spread some traffic around. Let me know what you think.

Jason
TheWISDOMWALL.com

DeeAnn said...

Mel, This is completely adorable and ingenious. Thank you so much for sharing. I have a new use for all my decorating magazines.

Allison Rankin said...

Gorgeous Mel. I wish I had your talent with embellies. I need to branch out this year!